Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 CC665CL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to add a SSD drive to my laptop.   I have seen conflicting information on the m.2 SSD spec.  Posts in the community have stated that the m.2 drive is SATA and the manual I downloaded from HP says it is a NVMe.  Which is it?  I purchased a NVMe 1TB  - installed it but it is not recognized by the system.  Also, It there a size restriction for the SSD?  Both specs I have seen show 512GB max from HP manuals .  Can I also run dual SATA drive that came with the system and m.2 drive?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Huffer 

The manual is incorrect regarding NVMe support in the 15-cc6xx model series.

Only the 15-cc1xx series supports NVMe.

There are several forum members that tried to install a NVMe SSD in a 15-cc6xx model and none of them worked.

Only SATA M.2 SSD's will work.

You can probably do a search on the forum and you will find these discussions.

Paul

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

According to this Manual:

Manual 

15-cc1xx and 15-cc6xx can accept PCIe/NVME M.2 SSD but 15-cc0xx and -cc5xx are SATA only. 

Which NVME M.2 did you install? Try removing the existing SATA drive and see if the NVME M.2 is then recognized. 

There is no max capacity; the manual just catalogues what HP offered for sale. You can install as large a capacity M.2 SSD as you can find to buy. And yes you can have dual storage SATA plus NVME M.2. 

HP Recommended

Hi, @Huffer 

The manual is incorrect regarding NVMe support in the 15-cc6xx model series.

Only the 15-cc1xx series supports NVMe.

There are several forum members that tried to install a NVMe SSD in a 15-cc6xx model and none of them worked.

Only SATA M.2 SSD's will work.

You can probably do a search on the forum and you will find these discussions.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks for that. Not sure how I had not seen that before but you learn something here every day

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Here is one archived post I found regarding the subject.

There are a few others.

I don't recognize the M.2 that I bought in the pavilion 15 c... - HP Support Community - 7484749

The problem is that there are two service manuals and they both indicate partially wrong info.

One indicates NVMe support for both the 15-cc1xx model series and the 15-cc6xx model series.

The 15-cc1xx does, and the 15-cc6xx doesn't

HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP au...

There is another one that indicates only M.2 SATA support for the 15-cc1xx model series and the 15-cc6xx model series.

That one is wrong because the 15-cc1xx model series does support NVMe SSD's.

HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended for HP au...

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help.  I was hoping to get a NVMe but I just purchased the SATA.  I very much appreciate input.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

I have finally gotten around to purchasing and installing a WD Blue 3D NAND SSD m.2 2280 1TB SATA Drive.  It does not show up in explorer.  Any Thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hi:

You probably have to initialize the drive using the Windows disk management utility...

Initialize new disks | Microsoft Docs

HP Recommended

That did the trick.  Thanks so much

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.