Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HPEnvy

Was just wondering how many out there have had the hinge broke on their 360 and its now cracking the screen. Ours started to break when the laptop was two years old and we didn't even use the 360 function. I am convinced this is a design fault as we looked after the laptop very well but HP do not agree and are refusing to fix which I do not agree with at all. Shameful as the laptop was expensive too. I have seen others complain about the same problem and each time it is the left hinge like ours. Therefore I would be really interested in hearing if there is anyone else. I have asked for my complaint to be logged so if others start getting the same problem. I also use a cheap HP at work and it feels so much stronger. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, i am looking for others that have the same problem as HP are refusing to admit this is a design fault. And are therefore refusing to fix ours. Ours was only two years when it started making the screen split down the side but we now have a big crack through the screen. I am so upset as it will cost us ove a £1000 to get the same spec laptop. Our previous HP laptop lasted 5 years which were happy about but this time we feel absolutely robbed. Only used it about 4 times a week and didn't use 360 function more than 5 times. I would love to hear more about the other complaints you have seen and maybe we can go back to them with a further complaint. 

HP Recommended

@Laura200 I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" on my public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I  have a 17" Envy laptop (bought refurbished around 2016) with an issue with the LH hinge. I had a 3rd party 3-year warranty from Square Trade and they fixed the hinge about a year or two ago. It's loose again so the fix didn't last (I won't buy a Square Trade warranty for a laptop again!). It still works but I have to treat it with special care to help prevent the left side of the screen from tearing loose from the body of the laptop.

I also had two 12" HP laptops from about 2012 that also had problems with both hinges, which I replaced myself. They definitely do have a hinge problem issue with multiple models over the years. Dell used to have problems with these as well but that was when I had an Inspiron laptop back in 1998.

I still use the 17" Envy laptop and will do an epoxy repair like in the first video in the search results below if that is the problem. I still love this laptop and will hate to see it go when I have to replace it, but for now, until I do the plastic epoxy repair, I hold the LH corner of the case tightly when opening or closing the lid. Here's the search results.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=fix+broken+hinge+HP+ENVY+TS+17+Notebook+PC

A direct link is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyaZ-7rUFmQ

(The same YouTuber has a video about disassembling the same laptop for a fan replacement)

I needed a small business class laptop and my wife needed to replace her 12" HP laptop as it was requiring too many repairs for me to keep up with it, so I bought two refurbished Dell Latitude E5440 laptops. We've had them both about

one year and the hinge does not seem to be weak in any way like those on HP products. Unlike any of the HP laptops we've had, the Dells' hinges on both laptops never seemed to be frail.

My next laptop to replace my 17" Envy may be a Dell product. I'm not convinced that HP knows how to engineer laptop hinges, even on 12" laptops.

This Envy is a business class laptop, according to one HP technician who helped me fix a loose connection to the internal wi-fi card, and I would expect a business laptop to take a beating and last a very long time, especially the hinges.

If I read that they've come up with a better way to make the hinges last a long time, I might consider an HP laptop to replace this one.

You are watching highlights of a laptop hinge repair I performed on my wife's HP Envy laptop. The previous video I made on this laptop which shows disassembly and reassembly in greater detail is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_yeBp1pDaI&t=2s My Amazon Store: ...
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.