Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion Notebook

Hello 

My 3 year old Notebook today when I started it up went to Preparing Automatic Repair but then does nothing else.

I am aware my battery no longer charges so I use the Notebook plugged into the main power which is fine for my needs. 

I ran a quick and an extensive diagnostic test and both failed straight away due to the battery - message is : Replace (42) Failure id: MBXPL1-86BA9N-COA003 

My question is why is a battery problem causing the machine to not open windows  anymore plugged into mains power? 

Whyy does it need a battery at all if it's connected to the mains?

It's working well enough to start up and run the tests on  mains powee, so why does it need a new battery?

This seems illogical and I am reluctant to spend money on a new battery unless it's going to fix the problem. Sorry if these are silly questions.

Thank you for any help on how I can fix the problem.

Jules

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The new battery made no difference other than making me £30 poorer! 

Speaking to the Windows community the issue seems to be there, hence the stop code error. 

Closing question. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Anonymous 

It's a legitimate question -- but there is no clear answer.  Some model HP laptops, and they don't provide a list of the models, simply require a working, none-dead battery to operate, even when plugged into the Mains.

I have an old HP DV6 and it works entirely the same way.  One day I put it away and three days later, the battery was dead, and it would not start -- even on the charger.  So, I bought a battery online, swapped with the dead one, and the laptop started.  Then I swapped with the dead battery and charged it for a few hours.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply Mr Wood.  

I'll nvest in a new battery then and hope it does the trick.

I have given a thumbs up but not accepted as solution for now until I've given it a go. I will come back and update then, 

Thanks again.  

Jules

HP Recommended

The new battery made no difference other than making me £30 poorer! 

Speaking to the Windows community the issue seems to be there, hence the stop code error. 

Closing question. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.