Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Power - 15-cb091nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop battery has developed some problems. I started my laptop and checked the battery, which was at 63%. I started playing a game and within 5 minutes from starting the application, the battery totally died and shut down the laptop. 

I've done the battery check and it showed me 3 different results: replace, weak and battery okay.

I've tried to find the battery to order a new one, as I expect this to solve the problem, but I could not find it. I would like some help to determine the exact problem and possibly order a battery

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes that is exactly why I provided you the Service Manual and pinpointed you to the page with pictures showing just how to do it. Just go easy disconnecting the cable from the motherboard. If the procedure is going to end badly, it will be by ripping the connector port for the battery off the motherboard. But again the pictures show very well how it works. Happy to help additionally if you need it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

How old is the battery? The laptop is at least 3 years and that is about the expected life of a battery. 

(19) Battery (4 cell, 70 Wh, 4.55 Ah) 917724-855

Service Manual see p. 37:

Manual 

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B08N4XHGKZ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=917724-855&qid=1608144624&sr=8...

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply Huffer. The battery is from September 2017, same as the laptop, 3 years old. I expect it to be expired indeed.

If I understand it correctly I need a battery product number: 917724-855

Also it is unclear to me whether I can replace this battery myself. I have no doubt about my technical abilities, but the laptop is fully closed at the bottom. Is this a case of removing the lid, replacing the battery and closing it up again?

HP Recommended

Yes that is exactly why I provided you the Service Manual and pinpointed you to the page with pictures showing just how to do it. Just go easy disconnecting the cable from the motherboard. If the procedure is going to end badly, it will be by ripping the connector port for the battery off the motherboard. But again the pictures show very well how it works. Happy to help additionally if you need it. 

HP Recommended

I performed a BIOS update yesterday, and after that the issue seems to be solved. Can a BIOS update have such troubleshooting for battery drain problems?

HP Recommended

Temporarily perhaps. Just keep an eye on it and run the test again in 2-3 weeks to see if the "fix" is permanent. 

HP Recommended

The battery swap was succesful. Thanks for the quick and adequate help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.