Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Probook 450 G6
Linux

The model in question is HP Probook 450 G6.

The issue is that under Linux, the brightness keys (Fn+F3 and Fn+F4) do not work.
To be more specific: they work, but they do the same thing Fn+F8 is doing.

Cause: both of these key combinations return the same keycode as Fn+F8 (Mic mute) and as a result they also do the same thing.

Apparently, the issue is not isolated to this particular model and is already known for HP as can be read here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Brightness-Keys-not-working-properly-...

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I found this topic describing the same problem. According to the last comment, updating BIOS with the driver released on January 2020 (HP firmware pack R71_sp101220.exe) may help.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1841039

HP Recommended

The thread was created before the new firmware was released. Thanks for the update!

HP Recommended

Be careful when working with BIOS. There is a specific guide on hp website. Please let me know the result if you try to do that (Because I intend to buy it for work, use both window and ubuntu 😃)

HP Recommended

I have installed the latest firmware.
Problem is still not resolved.

Fn+F3, Fn+F4 and Fn+F8 still return the same keycode.

HP Recommended

Are there any more problem with linux on this laptop? Have you tried to reinstall the graphic driver on Ubuntu software?

HP Recommended

Please READ the description of the problem.

It has nothing to do with the graphics driver.

The laptop can increase/decrease the brightness (if using the mouse to click and select). 

But the shortcut buttons on the keyboard do not work as expected.

HP Recommended

Maybe my question was vague. I want to know if that you have any further problem such as sound, wifi, microphone with your laptop running ubuntu.
It seems you have solved your troubles. If so, please mark as Accept as Solution like other posts.

HP Recommended

this question is still happening with the newest bios&EC firmware updated.

the question is somehow generated by the new ACPI WPI module of HP 450 G6 ,that the new module has not been support by the up to date linux kernel.

Wandering if HP tech could provide some support for our linux USERs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.