Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 15 (15-ep0098nr)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Its been asked many times before but I couldn't find any place to report bugs. So I'm going to post it here.

Sleep does not work correctly. BIOS no longer supports S3; only modern suspend (S0ix). But it's broken. The CPU continues to consume power although certain parts are turned off-- like the fans. This means after 5-10min the CPU will wake due to a thermal condition and try to cool off. Obviously if you have this in a notebook bag the system will go into thermal shutdown and likely present a fire hazard. I used a thermal camera after intentionally replicating this condition and the hot spot reads 148f. I can only imagine the battery loves that temperature.

This may also partially account for why the system runs particularly hot when idling; opportunistic S0ix isn't occurring. I thought this might be an issue with the Windows 10 2020 H1 update since this notebook is not on HP's qualified list yet. However, further testing in linux using the procedure laid out by Intel (on their 01 blog) shows the processor, integrated graphics, and various PCH functions are not reporting support for S0 idle. In linux I was able to replicated the same suspend issues as in Windows where fans and LEDs turn off, userspace tasks and certain interrupts are paused, but the CPU continues to consume power resulting in overheating.

Note: Hibernation is also not supported so it cannot be used as a workaround. Technically you can manually enable hibernation in Windows but USB, Thunderbolt and dGPU are restored in an inconsistent state. Likely because both BIOS and driver support is not there.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sleep issue is fixed in the recently released BIOS F.02 Rev.A

The release notes do not mention anything about this fix so I am updating this thread to note this.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@FWDx Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are facing the sleep mode issue.

Please try the below fixes and check.

  

Fix 1 – Power Options 

• Select the “Start” button, then select “Settings” (gear icon). 

• Select “System“. 

• Select “Power & sleep“. 

• Ensure the “Sleep” setting is set to a desired value. 

• Select “Additional power settings” in the right pane. 

• Select “Change Plan Settings” next to the option that you have selected. 

• Select “Change advanced power settings“. 

• On the “Power Options” screen, you want to expand each setting and ensure that they allow the computer to go to sleep mode. In my case, the setting under “Multimedia settings” > “When sharing media” was set to “Prevent idling to sleep“. I had to set this to “Allow the computer to sleep“. If you’re feeling lazy, just hit the “Restore plan defaults” button and that should toggle all items to where sleeping is allowed in Windows 10. 

Fix 2 – Sensitive Mouse 

If you have a sensitive mouse, any vibration near your PC could be keeping your machine awake. Try these steps to prevent the mouse from waking your machine. 

• Select the “Start” button, then type “device“. 

• Open “Device Manager“. 

• Expand the “Mice and other pointing devices” section. 

• Right-click on the mouse you are using, then choose “Properties“. 

• Select the “Power Management” tab. 

• Uncheck the “Allow this device to wake the computer” box, then select “OK“. 

Fix 3 – Network Adapters 

These steps are the same as Fix 2, only you’re checking under “Network adapters”. 

• Select the “Start” button, then type “device“. 

• Open “Device Manager“. 

• Expand the “Network adapters” section. 

• Check under each of the options by right-clicking and selecting “Properties“. 

• Uncheck the “Allow this device to wake the computer” box, then select “OK” for each network card. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I appreciate the response with the generic answer but my post clearly outline why this as a bug and not an OS issue. I would appreciate if this was forwarded up to an engineer so a BIOS/UEFI fix can be created.

To summarize: The processor, integrated graphics, and certain PCH functions do not report support for S0 idle states despite S0ix being the only type of sleep/suspend supported by the BIOS. This means you cannot sleep the CPU because it tells the OS it has no support even though the other parts of the system reports that it does.

HP Recommended

@FWDx

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support. They may help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

@Praveen196

I spoke to support and unfortunately they do not know of any way to escalate this issue to an engineer. AFAIK there doesn't appear to be any way for an end user to do this. Corporate and business partners can of course push their issues through their FAE.

HP Recommended

@FWDx I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" on my public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sleep issue is fixed in the recently released BIOS F.02 Rev.A

The release notes do not mention anything about this fix so I am updating this thread to note this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.