Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion dv6500
Microsoft Windows Vista

I have an old HP pavilion dv6500 that came with 32 bit Vista. it has an intel Centrino core duo.  Does anyone know if it can support 64 bit windows 10? I am thinking about upgrading. I have already installed an ssd and will soon upgrade the ram to 4 Gbt.

HP Paviilion dv6500
product number KB339EA#B1A
serial [personal info removed]

Kind regards

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Chris:

You can run a 64 bit OS on your PC, but unless you already have a W10 product key you can use, I don't think it is a very good idea to pay over 100 quid for a W10 Home OS on such an old notebook that is not supported by HP for W10.

They retired support for the dv6500 model series, so you have to look around for Vista drivers as those were the only drivers HP had for that model series.

Do you have a free way to install W7 on your notebook?

If you do, you can still upgrade from W7>W10 for free.

See the info at the link below...

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi, Chris:

You can run a 64 bit OS on your PC, but unless you already have a W10 product key you can use, I don't think it is a very good idea to pay over 100 quid for a W10 Home OS on such an old notebook that is not supported by HP for W10.

They retired support for the dv6500 model series, so you have to look around for Vista drivers as those were the only drivers HP had for that model series.

Do you have a free way to install W7 on your notebook?

If you do, you can still upgrade from W7>W10 for free.

See the info at the link below...

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply Paul. Its good to know that this machine can support 64 bit. I have ordered a Windows 7 upgrade retail box that allows me to upgrade from Vista/XP to Windows 7 on up to 3 PC's.   There are 32 and 64 bit installation discs in the box, but I think the upgrade will have to be in 32 bit. I might then be able to upgrade from Windows 7 32 bit to windows 10 32 bit if the drivers work. Then, I might be able to do a clean install to upgrade from Win 10 32 bit to Windows 10 64 bit. I am not sure if it can be done on this old machine but I would like to try. If it fails, then Windows 7 will still be better than Vista.  This laptop works fine for my needs, I only need it as a backup to run some basic programmes. 

Kind regards

Chris 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Chris.

Yes, that is exactly how I would do it.

Upgrade from Vista 32 bit to W7 32 bit.

Take the free upgrade from W7 32 bit to W10 32 bit.

To do that, all you have to do is to click on the blue Update Now button at the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

That will get you the latest upgrade to W10 32 bit.

Then use the media creation tool to create W10 64 bit installation media.

After you get W10 64 bit installed, if you need help finding any drivers, let me know and I should be able to help you out.

Cheers,

Paul

HP Recommended

Thank you very much Paul, I appreciate all your help.

Kind regards

Chris

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.