Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 13-ad1xx (2SM00PA#AB4)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I have searched the forums, and I am aware that similar questions have been asked before. However, I have yet to find any information regarding my laptop. 

Laptop: HP ENVY Laptop 13-ad1xx (2SM00PA#AB4)

I have done some searching in other sources, and have gotten varying responses, none of which were conclusive. There are a couple of USB C ports on the laptop, with the lightning logo, which I am assuming indicating that the ports are capable of transferring power. 

I intend to purchase a power bank to charge my laptop when on the go. While the ideal solution would be to purchase a powerbank with AC capabilities, those are much costlier than USB C powerbanks. I have tried to charge my HP laptop with USB C cables unsuccessfully.

However, there I have hypothesized a couple of possible reasons due to my lack of suitable hardware available.

1) I am not using a USB C to USB C cable. Currently using a USB A to USB C cable.

2) The output is not sufficient as the only wall chargers I have on hand are from my Samsung S8. 

While those are easily solvable issues by purchasing the required equipment, I am afraid of finding out that my laptop is incapable of USB C charging after spending over $100 on those equipment. 

As the power adapter that came with my HP laptop is of 65W, can I purchase a powerbank with 65W output, and a USB C to USB C cable to charge my laptop? 

A secondary question - Can I purchase a wall charger of 65W output and use a USB C to USB C to charge my laptop as well? (This might help as I travel overseas frequently, and having a more compact and universal charger can save me precious luggage space)

While I understand the ideal solution would be to go to hardware stores and test out with my laptop, unfortunately, local hardware department stores in where I reside do not typically offer such service. It is challenging by itself to find large enough powerbanks being sold, as these are less popular items here. 

Thanks a lot for reading till this far. Appreciate any comments or advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The laptop cannot be powered or charged via the USB-C cable:

2 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge)

specs

I know "Sleep and Charge" sounds promising but all that means is the port can be made to still provide power OUT to charge your cell phone or such even when the laptop is asleep. If the laptop can be powered via USB-C, HP generally provides a USB-C charger with it. If it comes with a barrell-type adapter that is an almost certain indication it cannot be charged with the usb-C ports. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

The laptop cannot be powered or charged via the USB-C cable:

2 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, DP1.2, HP Sleep and Charge)

specs

I know "Sleep and Charge" sounds promising but all that means is the port can be made to still provide power OUT to charge your cell phone or such even when the laptop is asleep. If the laptop can be powered via USB-C, HP generally provides a USB-C charger with it. If it comes with a barrell-type adapter that is an almost certain indication it cannot be charged with the usb-C ports. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

Many thanks for the quick, and spot on reply! Helps to clarify plenty. 

Now, I'll know to pinpoint my search to powerbanks that support cables into the charging port, with at least a 65W output.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

I disagree with this outcome, my wife owns the Macbook 12 inch retina... and i tried the charger for that to charge my ENVY 13.

it is currently charging and seems to be fine... I travel for work and  am planning on using a Macbook Charger to charge my Envy 13, my Ipad Pro 11 and my Android phone.

The adaptor is a USBC 29W charger for Macbook 12 Retina...while i have been typing this... the charge has gone from 89 - 95 percent charged

HP Recommended

Here are a couple of images....it shows the charging light on the side where the power connector is...showing it is charging and the charging notification on the desktop60525681_1745606528875579_4447362644151631872_n.jpg60527311_2284755984914765_2311081881472335872_n.jpg

HP Recommended

What exact model is it?

HP Recommended

System Model HP ENVY Laptop 13-ah0xxx

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

HP Recommended

That is not a mystery. Your model is designed for USB-C charging so there is no basis for disagreement. HP offers a 65w USB-C charger for your model. USB-C charging works on your model but won't work on the model that this thread is actually about. 

So thanks. Nice pictures. 

HP Recommended

Hello!

I trust your judgment on this one, so I figure I will ask before I buy anything.

Like you said, if it comes with a cylindrical more old-school type charger, probably not USB-C Charging capable.

I have the HP ENVY x360 15M-CN0011DX

8GB RAM, 256 SSD, Intel Core i5-8250U 

Here is the exact model: https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000D-036D8

Does this one support USB-C Charging? 

I appreciate your help! 

HP Recommended

Specs say the USB-C port is "Power Delivery" which is supposed to mean it can be charged with that USB-C port. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06038610

However, the Service Manual, which I tend to believe over the specs, does not say it is a Power Delivery port. 

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06140010

So I am falling back on the observation that if it can be charged by USB-C, HP gives you that kind of adapter. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.