Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17t-bw000 (2YY28AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it possible to upgrade the wifi with a unit that is not in the manual? The manual on lists Intel AC7265 and AC9260. I would like to use Intel AX210 or AX200. If it is possible, could I use the same antenna that's already built in?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The parts list for your notebook indicates that it either came with a 

7265 AC or a 9260 AC.

HP PartSurfer

If it came with either one of those wifi adapters, you can use the existing antennas.

Whether or not the AX200 will work is another question for which no one here will have an answer.

It depends on whether or not your PC has a BIOS whitelist which prevents the installation of unsupported wifi adapters not listed in the manual from working.

HP does not release any information regarding which notebooks have a whitelist.

Based on the information we collect here on wifi card upgrades, most notebooks made in 2104 or later do not have BIOS whitelists, but a handful of them do.

If you want to give the AX200 a try, you must get the non-vPro version of the card.

You can find this HP part number on eBay in the $20 - $30 range.

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro 160 MHz PCI-e    HP part # L35282-005.

If you decide to give it a try, please post back and let us know if it worked.

HP Recommended

Thanks! I've ordered the AX210 since its the same price but an even better model with 6E. I'll let you guys know if it works!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If it was a non-vPro card, you have a chance.

HP Recommended

The AX210 works!

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Thanks for letting us know.

HP Recommended

Did you have to do anything special?  I also bought an AX210 card for my HP Envy 17t-cg100.  But when I put the card in and power it on, the laptop wants to go into diagnosis and repair mode.  I did boot into safe mode with networking and Windows says it could not initiate the driver.  What driver are you using?  Where did you get it? Thanks!

HP Recommended

I downloaded the driver from the Intel website for both the Bluetooth and wifi, and saved it in my documents. Changed the chip, then just booted windows like normal and installed the drivers. Nothing fancy or difficult 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.