Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I used the Samsung EVO 850 ssd 500gb. The ssd had two dips, but the connector on the motherboard only had one. The ssd still fit and it did not make a difference. In fact, the ssd would only fit in one direction.

-Mark

HP Recommended

The Envy does not support m.2 PCIe connectors and bus only m.2 sata III.

HP Recommended

@jamesgravley wrote:

I took a quick peek into mine the other day and indeed, there is only 1 (ONE) normal 2.5 bay drive in the model listed on the initial post. There is a PCIe M.2 slot that fits an SSD drive with that form factor. There is no screw on the motherboard, so if anyone does decided to upgrade, be sure to buy a pack of screws (quick google will give you what you need). 

So far mine has been phenomenal, but I can already tell that I will want to upgrade to SSD at some point. 

If you're needing a screw to hold down the SSD, I used one of the black screws from the battery comparment (same size).  The battery compartment can do without one of the screws.  If I ever come across one of those screws (like from one of my old HP laptops), I just might put a screw back in the battery compartment.  Using one of the screws from the battery compartment to hold down the SSD, I was able to get the SSD installed - without waiting to locate another screw.

HP Recommended

I ordered my 17t last week with only a 1gb HDD.  Was planning to add the Samsung EVO 850 m2 SATA SSD once the laptop arrives.  Sounds like I can have both the HDD & SSD installed and usable - yea! 

Seems installing the SSD is simply inserting it into the m2 slot next to the HDD and leaving the HDD in place?  No hardware setting changes needed

Not sure I have the specifics of the 2 options for getting Windows on the SSD and making the SSD the boot drive...

1. After installing the SSD boot up (imagine it would still boot to the HDD), use Acronis to copy an image of the HDD to the SSD and then change the boot order at system launch so the SSD would boot before the HDD? 

2. Make a Windows Recovery USB.  Then after installing the SSD boot up with the Windows Recovery USB installed.  Would it then just ask me what drive to make the boot drive and install Windows on that drive or are some other steps needed?

Reading other postings it sounds like being a fresh system it may be better to use option 2 and reinstall Windows directly on the SSD?

Thanks!

Carl

HP Recommended

@Carl12321 wrote:

I ordered my 17t last week with only a 1gb HDD.  Was planning to add the Samsung EVO 850 m2 SATA SSD once the laptop arrives.  Sounds like I can have both the HDD & SSD installed and usable - yea! 

Seems installing the SSD is simply inserting it into the m2 slot next to the HDD and leaving the HDD in place?  No hardware setting changes needed

Not sure I have the specifics of the 2 options for getting Windows on the SSD and making the SSD the boot drive...

1. After installing the SSD boot up (imagine it would still boot to the HDD), use Acronis to copy an image of the HDD to the SSD and then change the boot order at system launch so the SSD would boot before the HDD? 

2. Make a Windows Recovery USB.  Then after installing the SSD boot up with the Windows Recovery USB installed.  Would it then just ask me what drive to make the boot drive and install Windows on that drive or are some other steps needed?

Reading other postings it sounds like being a fresh system it may be better to use option 2 and reinstall Windows directly on the SSD?

Thanks!

Carl

I, recently, received my HP n100 Laptop and installed an SSD I purchased from Amazon.  First, I made a recovery flashdrive from the hard drive which came with the computer (easy process - using the RECOVERY program which came with the comptuer; instead of making RECOVERY disks onto CDs or DVDs, you can, now, put the RECOVERY files on a flash drive).  Then, I installed the SSD - the SSD needs a screw to secure it to the motherboard; I just used one of the screws from the battery compartment (same size) - I'll replace the screw in the battery compartment some other time (I'll grab one from one of my old HP laptops).   Then, I disconnected the hard drive cable - so that the laptop would attempt to boot from the SSD (rather than from the hard drive).  I inserted the flash drive which has the recovery files and loaded everything onto my SSD - the contents of my SSD is, now, identical to the contents of the hard drive which came with the computer (even has the Recovery "D" drive, etc.).  Then, I reconnected the cable to the hard drive.  I tried to delete everything from the hard drive (I didn't want a conflict with it having the Windows Operating System on it; however, when I went to the Disk Management tool to remove the contents of the hard drive (remove the operating system, etc.), I discovered I couldn't remove all of the partitions!  I found ths website which walks you through the procedure for removing everything from the hard drive which came with the comptuer.

http://www.winability.com/delete-protected-efi-disk-partition/

Going back to the Disk Management Program, it showed TWO "D" drives - did some googling and discovered it is a common thing for the Disk Management Program to show the two "D" drives.  It is totally irrevelant (ignore it).

Now, I boot from my SSD (much faster than booting from a hard drive).  I store all of my programs on the SSD.  I store my active files and documents on the SSD.  I use the hard drive which came with the computer for storing files I do not access often.

HP Recommended

Thanks rmhutchins!  Sounds easier that I might have imagined.  Never would have guessed deleting a partition would be so challenging so thanks for the tip.

Carl

HP Recommended

Dear rmhutchins

It is a bit confusing for us for adding the SSD (stick type) to the envy 17t n100, there are confusing information about the type of the SSD, it is clear that it is 3.5 inch or the so called 80 mm, but there are types like pcle and sata

Would you please give us a link for the SSD which you order and install in your laptop

Anyone else whom had install such an SSD, can you gave us the links and or photos for the SSD’s that you had ordered and installed on the laptop

HP Recommended

@JohenTech wrote:

Dear rmhutchins

It is a bit confusing for us for adding the SSD (stick type) to the envy 17t n100, there are confusing information about the type of the SSD, it is clear that it is 3.5 inch or the so called 80 mm, but there are types like pcle and sata

Would you please give us a link for the SSD which you order and install in your laptop

Anyone else whom had install such an SSD, can you gave us the links and or photos for the SSD’s that you had ordered and installed on the laptop

I used a sata SSD. I purchased it from Amazon; the link is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGIVZTW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00.

I purchased the 250GB since all of my active files (includind the Operating System [Windows] and all of my programs) are less than 250GB.  I left the 1TB hard drive in for backups and long-term storage.

Someone on this forum indicated that the PCIe SSD form factor will NOT work on the n100.

By the way, the SSD drive needs a screw to hold it in place; the SSD did NOT come with a screw (since each brand of computers may use a different screw).  I used one of the black screws (exact fit) from my battery compartment.

HP Recommended

I used the same Samsung 850 Evo stick, but mine was a 500gb version. You will need the screw.

HP Recommended

@MarkH29 wrote:

I used the same Samsung 850 Evo stick, but mine was a 500gb version. You will need the screw.

You can use one of the five screws you removed from the battery compartment to open up the laptop.   Those screws are an exact fit for the one you need to hold down the SSD.  You can replace the screw in the battery compartment if and when you locate one (I'm planning on getting one from an old HP laptop I have - just haven't gotten around to it).  The battery compartment doesn't need all five screws.

I went with the 250GB SSD because I couldn't justify spending twice as much for a 500GB SSD knowing that I didn't need the extra capacity.  Any long-term storage files (photos, etc.) can be stored on the 1TB hard drive which came with the computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.