Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

USB 3.1 Type-C  with the USB PDS feature is capable of accepting 20v, not 5v.

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

The HP 22400mAh Power Pack runs from 5V and above .. I meant on the entrance to the laptop.
I think, can take on the input from 5V to 20V ..
and then the main question, getting the input voltage, as it will take the motherboard laptop?

HP Recommended

I think you may need to do a bit of reading on how desktop and notebook PCs work if the link that I provided in my previous post is not clear.

There are plenty of resources at junior colleges and on the internet that will help you understand how it all works.

I am a volunteer forum member. If my suggestion solved your issue, help others by not' forgetting to mark that post as the accepted solution. Say thanks by clicking on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
OK, thanks!
HP Recommended

@nethill

Internally, an HP representative has stated that a notebook which is delivered with a standard AC adapter does not accept power via USB Type-C.  

That means that the HP document I  used to source my information on was incorrect.

A USB Type-C Power pack or power bank,  is incompatible with the HP Pavilion Power 15-cb038ur notebook.

HP Recommended

understood,

thank you very much for the information.

now I know.

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

Internally, an HP representative, has stated that " Our PCs don't have both AC adapter ports and USB Type-C power adapters.  It's either/or."

This general statement is useful, as it underlines why laptops with higher power requirements, such as many of the ZBooks, have no USB-C power accessories listed.

@Many of the latest ZBooks use a 150W power adapter. This is beyond the limit defined by the USB Power Delivery standard, which is defined in section 1.2 of the USB-PD 3.0 standard as 100W (usually 20V @ 5A). The logical elements of the USB-PD protocol support, to my reading, a maximum of 25.6V @ 6.4A (163.84W) assuming you don't make what are probably reasonable guesses about use of reserved bits in the programmable power supply APDO messages. A 150W or even 160W USB-PD power supply appears possible, albeit at a specific and non-standard voltage (laptop power supplies are typically 20V or 19V), breaching the 100W limit for USB-PD, breaching the 5A limit of the cable and perhaps also breaching other electrical limits elsewhere in the USB and USB-PD specifications. HP's USB-C chargers and laptops stick within the 100W limit - indeed, HP do not seem to have USB-C power adapters of more than 90W.

I don't know how Dell's 130W USB-C power supply for their 9575 2-in-1 computer is implemented; I can't find a voltage and current table for that power supply though it is certainly a non-standard implementation of USB-PD because it breaches the 100W limit. The Dell 130W USB-C power supply should be safe to use with other devices because USB-PD sinks negotiates a voltage with a USB-PD power source before a higher voltage than the USB 5V standard is applied, also and it is perfectly safe having a power adapter capable of supplying more current than the powered device requires so long as the device draws the minimum amount of power required for the power supply to be stable at a given voltage.

@IT is clear there are a class of higher power laptops for which the current USB-PD standard is inadequate. In time, there might be a move to extend USB-PD to 150W or more, though there are limits on the what the four power and four ground pins from the 24 tiny pins in the USB-C connector can manage. Perhaps 30V @ 5A is a future possibility - the existing connector is more likely to cope with higher voltage than higher current. Over time the power requirements of devices are dropping as the circuitry becomes more efficient; it may be that, in time, a modest or even no increase in the 100W limit means all devices will use USB-PD.

At least some of the ZBooks with 150W power adapters have 90W and 65W adapters listed as accessories. Amongst other things, this gives a 90W combo adapter option for those who need the ability to use DC power in a car or plane. These smaller adapters will probably not be enough to power the laptop and charge the battery simultaneously - indeed, the smaller adapters may well result in the laptop being throttled down, such as the dGPU being disabled and/or lower power limits imposed on the processor and iGPU. I would think using a 65W adapter could be an unpleasant experience all round, but it's better than no power adapter.

These comments about ZBooks above probably apply to other HP laptops with high power demands, such as the gaming laptops - it's just that I am familiar with the ZBooks.

If a laptop needs to go beyond the 100W possible over USB-PD, there really is no alternative at present to a traditional DC jack. For these laptops, it makes sense to omit the additional complexity and expense of USB-PD sink circuitry (to take power over USB-PD) and there is perhaps limited justification to provide USB-PD source circuitry (to allow external devices to take power from the laptop beyond the standard USB limits). As such, the statement "It's either/or" is no surprise.

HP Recommended

@David_J_W

Have you ever heard of the KISS principle?

There are plenty of unanswered threads which could use some help in resolving issues.

Why not find one and give it a try?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.