Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I just received a new EliteBook 840 G5 and noticed that the fan is always running when the power is attached.  I see a comment in a review from a guy havin seemingly the same issue and hoping it will be fixed with a bios update...  complaining by the overall bad power management of the device (the discrete GPU is badly throttled).

Anyone else is experiencing the same issue?  It is kind of annoying and I am thinking to return the noteook due to this issue. 

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

I have the same experience: the fan is always runninge (90%) of the day, even when the system is not busy.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the feedback.  This is quite terrible!

Anyone from HP: What would be an appropriate follow-up for this issue to get it solved?  

HP Recommended

My 840 G5 just bought this week had the same issue.  

HP Recommended

same here with my new 840 g5!

cpu low (about 5%), fan always on!

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. I think the issue is the sometimes the CPU is not throttled down. The fan is always on if the CPU load is over 10%. In this case the CPU frequency is constantly over 3.8 Ghz. The air on the fan is cold. 

If the load is longer around 5% the fan gets silent, still the freuquency is maximum. 

I had a Zbook 15 before and never experienced this before, if the load is low the CPU frequency was also low. Maybe the frequency is handled to aggressively?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the feedback.  In my case the fan was spinning loudly even with the CPU fully idle (at 0%).  This was so annoying that I returned the 840 G5.  Kind of sad that no one from HP seems to care, especially as this notebook looked perfect on the paper and I waited it for months.  I am now in the market again for something else and will likely go with Lenovo or Dell, as sad as it is.  July 4th is very near and I will likely be tempted by the large discounts offered that day. 

Have fun with your notebook and I still hope that a bios update will fix this annoying behavior, if this is not already a fix for bad hardware design. 

HP Recommended

i got the same problem with our 840 G5. has somebody got a solution?

Georg

HP Recommended

Just an update: If I modify the performance with the Win10 power slider and put the slider to the middle or lowest instead of "best performance" the frequence is most time below 2 Ghz and I get only cold air from the fan.

BUT it still blows on max speed.

In the bios the option "Fan always on when on AC" is switched off (but it makes no differerence if its on).

HP Recommended

Hi guys, 

I have something that helps with this, credit to Mr or  Mrs u/ax3l91 who has the same problem on his/her Spectr x360:

https://www.reddit.com/r/spectrex360/comments/84pmsc/fix_your_temps_and_fan_noise_on_ac_spectre_x360...

I believe this is an issue not just with the 840 G5, but with most laptops running Intel G8 CPUs.  The intel Turbo Boost that kicks in at 100% CPU knocks the temps up and that sets off the fans. 

This change made a big difference for my 840 G5.  Now I click the battery icon in Windows and set it to Best Performance during the day in the noisy office so it get full use of turbo boost, and down a step to Better Performance at home.  On that setting it is now, for the most part, totally silent.  🙂

Nathan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.