Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Envy 8 Note Tablet battery swelling

HP Recommended
Envy 8 Note
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi Community,

I have an old but trusty Envy 8 Note tablet. I use it daily and keep it charged up, rarely going on battery power. Works fine and I like the size, nice companion to my Zbook work laptop, so I can keep an eye on the markets while in Teams meetings 🙂

My issue is one others have posted about but I didn't see an answer for this specific tablet - the battery has swollen to the point that the back cover has long popped off. The battery check shows it's all ok, and the battery does charge up & hold its charge so no worries there. My only concern is safety - if this is just normal operation and aging of the battery & nothing to worry about, so be it, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
25,117 24,769 2,900 10,745
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@smushkat , welcome to the forum.

You are definitely correct in believing the battery is a concern.  If the battery is swelling it has to be replaced.  The sooner, the better.  It is not good to continue charging a faulty battery.

You can find the Part Number by inserting the Product Number into the space provided in HP PartSurfer: https://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@smushkat , welcome to the forum.

You are definitely correct in believing the battery is a concern.  If the battery is swelling it has to be replaced.  The sooner, the better.  It is not good to continue charging a faulty battery.

You can find the Part Number by inserting the Product Number into the space provided in HP PartSurfer: https://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

View solution in original post

smushkat
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply @old_geekster! Unfortunately, the label on the battery claims "cannot be replaced", so looks like I'm out of luck. I've drained down the battery & will stop using the tablet - good to know. I do have an even older 8" HP tablet, not as good as the Note but at least that battery seems intact.

0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You are welcome, @smushkat!

I have one of the first HP Touchpads that runs WebOS and Android dual boot.  It is about 8 years old, but still works great!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation