Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 8 Note
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi Community,

I have an old but trusty Envy 8 Note tablet. I use it daily and keep it charged up, rarely going on battery power. Works fine and I like the size, nice companion to my Zbook work laptop, so I can keep an eye on the markets while in Teams meetings 🙂

My issue is one others have posted about but I didn't see an answer for this specific tablet - the battery has swollen to the point that the back cover has long popped off. The battery check shows it's all ok, and the battery does charge up & hold its charge so no worries there. My only concern is safety - if this is just normal operation and aging of the battery & nothing to worry about, so be it, but just wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@smushkat , welcome to the forum.

You are definitely correct in believing the battery is a concern.  If the battery is swelling it has to be replaced.  The sooner, the better.  It is not good to continue charging a faulty battery.

You can find the Part Number by inserting the Product Number into the space provided in HP PartSurfer: https://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@smushkat , welcome to the forum.

You are definitely correct in believing the battery is a concern.  If the battery is swelling it has to be replaced.  The sooner, the better.  It is not good to continue charging a faulty battery.

You can find the Part Number by inserting the Product Number into the space provided in HP PartSurfer: https://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply @old_geekster! Unfortunately, the label on the battery claims "cannot be replaced", so looks like I'm out of luck. I've drained down the battery & will stop using the tablet - good to know. I do have an even older 8" HP tablet, not as good as the Note but at least that battery seems intact.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @smushkat!

I have one of the first HP Touchpads that runs WebOS and Android dual boot.  It is about 8 years old, but still works great!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.