Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I wanted to give everybody an update. This issue has been fixed.

I opened a ticket and got it escalated to the Engineering team a few months ago. They actually looked into it and fixed the problem through a Windows update about a month ago.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the update showed up as HP Firmware.

I've tested my laptop a few weeks now and BD-prochot doesn't trigger anymore.

Thanks to HP support and their engineers for fixing this!

HP Recommended

I still have the same problem. Tried running with Windows 1903, newest drivers or the other thermal driver found in this thread.

Since yesterday I also have an eGPU, and now it directly triggers after booting the Laptop.

For me the only two solutions to get rid of this are either running Linux (no matter if Arch, Ubuntu) or to run Throttle Stop as an autostart service in Windows, which I am both doing for four months or so now.

HP Recommended

Yeah me too. I have tried using various things but it seems after a while of heavy use it slows right down and fixes cpu at 3.1ghz. and yeah, when in tent mode, and yeah if I unplug power then back in its fine again for a while like the other guys.

can you send me some working throttlestop settings please Samu?

HP Recommended

That the CPU throttles down to 3.1 Ghz is normal throttling because of thermal stuff or whatever. The throttling here in this thread is about throttling down to 0.77 Ghz without any (at least for us user) reason.

My CPU also throttles down to something around 2.8 - 3.3 Ghz when doing heavy stuff on it. Thats why I have the eGPU now. The full TPD can go to the CPU and hasn't to be shared with both GPUs.

There is nothing special to set in Throttle stop. Check (or uncheck) the checkbox with bd prochot, click on "turn on" and add Throttle Stop to autostart if you need it. If you do this while you are throttled to 0.7Ghz you will see the immediate effect if done right.

HP Recommended

I think it might be related. When I say it throttles to 3.1, I dont mean it is averaging 3.1, I mean exactly locked at 3.1, even with no load on it.. it wont even go less, and temp is at 56c. its just stuck. I usually notice it when my CAD goes slow. I find it worse when I'm running a second monitor or infact only running 1 monitor but not the internal screen. It also seems to manifest itself faster when ive got a hub off the USB3. 

in any case, as soon as I unplug power it drops to low Ghz as expects, plug it back in and its booming back to between 3 and 4Ghz, and working in the CAd much faster again.

My thoughts on it are heat soak into the casing and then the PSU is telling it do throttle. Which eGPU are you using?

HP Recommended

I don't know about this problem.

The egpu is a Razer Core X with an AMD Vega 56.

Running great so far, except that the included TB3 cable seems to be broken (PC tells me theres a short circuit on the USB port) and the Asus Control software for the GPU dosn't like to have two AMD GPUs in the same PC. Sometimes it completely messes things up. So best is to install it, set it all up and then don't use it anymore 😄

But for Video editing its realy cool. With the egpu and switching from Adobe Premiere to Resolve a 3min video in 4K now renders in 7min instead of 1-2h. And if I'm on the go, I still have the small vega inside the laptop to do some work without the big one.

HP Recommended

Hi guys.

First of all, it's Throttlestop that causes the problem. If you use the laptop without it, bd-prochot won't trigger.

It seems that this laptop is very picky when you use software that messes with its registers. This is even more obvious if you use NBFC to control the fans, which causes all sorts of weird things to happen.

But I assume you still want to undervolt, so here are a couple of things you can try out:

-Go to Device manager, Firmware, right click on System Firmware and update. I'm not sure which version you'll get on 1903, as I had  March 2019 on 1809 but now that I re-imaged my laptop I'm back at Oct. 2018 on 1803. The latter seems to do it for me.

-If you're using Task scheduler to start Throttlestop, set it to start with a delay of about 80 seconds or so. This laptop has SST enabled, but it appears that Windows doesn't turn it on until about 1 minute after boot. I assume that more power settings may be applied with a delay and this may help you avoid conflicts.

Again, I can't guarantee that this will work on 1903. I was briefly on 1809 but after HP's SGX update broke Windows Hello, I had to  re-image and go back to 1803. It does seem to work on 1803 though and before the upgrade I was using it for a month without a problem.

-Ultimately, you can just uncheck bd-prochot in Throttlestop and call it a day.It's not ideal as you're disabling a protection mechanism, but I've never seen bd-prochot trigger legitimately.

As for getting stuck at 3.1Ghz, it sounds like a different problem. Maybe you've set a very conservative (high) EPP, or DPTF is broken. You'll also have to troubleshoot and see if you're hitting PL1 or any other limits

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.