Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Does anyone else have the problem of the fingerprint reader not working after hibernate? This is an intermittent problem, doesn't happen all the time, but frequently. Come out of hibernation, it is blinking, swipe my finger, nothing happens, blinking stops and the reader doesn't work after that. I have to enter my Windows password and it doesn't work for any websites. Have to reboot to re-engage the reader.

I'm on Win 7 Home Prem 64 bit with latest drivers for the fingerprint reader and lastest update for Authentec software.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So here's the solution(s) as found by Pokey and me:

Option 1:  Computer, Properties, Device Manager, Biometric Devices, Validity Sensors, Properties, and the Power Management tab, Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Option 2:  Try disabling and enabling the "Credential Manager" service by going into Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services, Credentials Manager.  Even though the Credentials Manager status is “Started,” stop the Credentials Manager service and restart it. Find more information here:  https://support.authentec.com/Forum/tabid/318/forumid/49/threadid/600/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Option 3:  Do both.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

I have noticed the same issue on my pc, which is a model dv6t. So far the only fix I can come up with is to reset or power down. 

HP Recommended

Same problem here.  It doen't only happen on hibernate for me.  I also happens for standby. When i get into windows, i can use the reader for websites, etc.  But once on standby or hibernate, it intermittently fails. I haven't uninstalled drivers or software for the fingerprint reader yet.  But that might be my next move.

Did either of you find a solution (besides rebooting)?  I'd like to keep it from happening at all.  My last HP had a wonderful fingerprint reader.  It never failed, and it was quicker to recognize as well.

HP Recommended

Haven't found a solution yet. Like you, I also experience it when it goes into standby intermittently. This still happens even though I've had a complete Windows reinstall (not related problem) and I have the latest Simplepass drivers and software. I think Authentec needs to fix this so I should post this problem in their forums, too.

HP Recommended

Well thanks for saving me the trouble of uninstall/reinstall or windows reinstall.  For the record, my machine is a HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Edition [aka dv6t 7000] intel i7 processor.

current driver for fingerprint reader according to HP's site:  Version:4.3.301
current Simple Pass software as well.
I bought the laptop this summer [2012] and the latest versions of driver and software are dated March 2012.  So there are no updates necessary.  I don't recall having this problem for the first few months.  Wondering if some software I installed is conflicting.

HP Recommended

I will let you know if I receive any solutions or possible solutions to try. In the meantime, you can update Simplepass to 5.4 from here: http://support.authentec.com/Downloads/DownloadManager.aspx?EntryId=26

HP Recommended
I found this thread here: https://support.authentec.com/Forum/tabid/318/forumid/49/threadid/600/scope/posts/Default.aspx

You may want to read through the two pages of what they say.

There is one thing I'm going to try. When I was poking around Computer, Device Manager, Biometric Devices, Validity Sensors, Properties, and the Power Management tab, I see that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is checked. I'm going to uncheck this and see if that changes anything. Maybe you could do the same and report back.
HP Recommended

I tried the power management already.  And it didn't seem to help.  I'll try disabling and enabling the "Credential Manager" service and report back later.

Already have Simple Pass 5.4, but i may back up my passwords, and uninstall/reinstall. Maybe do the same with driver too.  But that's my next step if there the "credential manager" trick doesn't work

HP Recommended

disable/re-enable of "credential manager" in services worked right away. I can log in to windows after sleep.  I'll report back if/when it fails again.

HP Recommended
OK, let me know how that works out. I wasn't going to go the credentialling route because it sounded like it was a temporary fix. So far the power management has been working for me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.