Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have a 2.5 years old HP Pavilion dm4 laptop. At first hinges from both sides broke which made it harder for the laptop to close properly and now the frame is breaking apart. Is there a way I can get/buy replacements before other parts get messed up. 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, I too have this problem (dm4-1050ea).

It started in about about Feb 2015, when my aunt noticedv that my laptop was nt closing properly.  It could be be made to so by pushing the top half (screen assembly) forward from the back when closed.

Then the hinges became deective in that the screen wouldn't move smoothly nd wouldn't sit just in the place (angle) you opened it to.

Next the hinges beame too stiff to operate, and shortly after the left one came away from the screen/lid assembly, and the bezel broke near the the LH hinge (rather than though the bezel as illustrated in the above picture). Next the right hinge became detached, then the screen became deective (mainly a stripe all down the LHS - was working with detached hinges OK))

So, I am left with  working computer, not 100% functional & broken, and needs special care to use; the screen does not function in all areas (a replacement looks like £30 - $50), with the screen virtually hanging off, in need of rplace ment hinges (£10 - $15), and also nees any other bits (?) and the knowledge to repair it.  HP say they don't support this model any more,  and do not have theparts (as of late 2015).

It may be beyond the capability of an all-powerful ccompany such as  HP to find parts, but it does not seem beyond the my capacity to obtain the parts - maybe 2nd hand - from other broken HP's !! - but what I lak is the detailed kno ho an skill to effect any repair.

Videos -

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/?s=dm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BphJmU5nHfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edxjwOXMglc

I hope some finds these useful -  they must be just a tiny selection of the procedures vailable for repair (probably none authorised by HP who want you to throw it away and buy a new model ftom HP)

Woodward

1.March.2016

View solution in original post

Always see this problem with HP laptop. To replace the cover costs about $90 on ebay. If you don't want to spend $90, in this video you will find a cheap solution. I already fixed 2 hp laptops by this solution, they was happy because it costs $0.
Complete disassembly of HP Pavilion dm4-1000 series motherboard, cpu, lcd screen assembly, dc powerjack, etc. www.ifixiteasy.com
35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

Can we have your exact model? Yes, the hinges and the plastic casing pieces are available from HP or on eBay or from other sources. The hinges are cheap but the big plastic chassis parts tend to be expensive and if you are going to replace the lower case "tub" it means removing the mainboard and essentially rebuilding the laptop from the ground up. Can you post pictures so we can figure out what is broken so we can determine the parts you need?

HP Recommended

I actually have the same problem, except that it only occured on the left side. At first the hinge was loose and then eventually fell off. After that when I closed the lid I had to push the left side into place in order to lessen the damage. Today the metal underneath broke through the frame when I went to close the lid and in order to push it back inside I had to break the frame more. I felt it was necessary to push it back in because of the wires being in between tough metal pieces. 

I'd like to know how much it would cost to repair the hinge and frame, and how long it would take. I'm a college student, so losing my laptop in the middle of the semester is pretty devastating. I also still have the silver hinge that fell off, if that helps anything.

Model Number: dm4-2070us

1888449_839202332773674_969264965_n.jpg

UPDATE: I guess it's not that the actually metal hinge is broken, but the outer casing fell off and now everything is exposed and it's difficult to close without causing further damage.

UPDATE: Visually, the screen is perfectly unharmed (inside it might have some plastic chipped off), it's the bezel ($29) that's broken. Also, I figured out that the hinge cover ($85.5 for two) breaking is what started this mess. Right now from the prices I've found online, just the harware cost looks to be about $114.5. I'm guessing the service charge would be around $30-$50? I might just be able to do it all at home.

HP Recommended

Hi there,

I have the same problem as above and below mentioned. 
I was wondering if I can have hinge replacements as well as the case replacement part.

HP Recommended

@eTag

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yes, I too have this problem (dm4-1050ea).

It started in about about Feb 2015, when my aunt noticedv that my laptop was nt closing properly.  It could be be made to so by pushing the top half (screen assembly) forward from the back when closed.

Then the hinges became deective in that the screen wouldn't move smoothly nd wouldn't sit just in the place (angle) you opened it to.

Next the hinges beame too stiff to operate, and shortly after the left one came away from the screen/lid assembly, and the bezel broke near the the LH hinge (rather than though the bezel as illustrated in the above picture). Next the right hinge became detached, then the screen became deective (mainly a stripe all down the LHS - was working with detached hinges OK))

So, I am left with  working computer, not 100% functional & broken, and needs special care to use; the screen does not function in all areas (a replacement looks like £30 - $50), with the screen virtually hanging off, in need of rplace ment hinges (£10 - $15), and also nees any other bits (?) and the knowledge to repair it.  HP say they don't support this model any more,  and do not have theparts (as of late 2015).

It may be beyond the capability of an all-powerful ccompany such as  HP to find parts, but it does not seem beyond the my capacity to obtain the parts - maybe 2nd hand - from other broken HP's !! - but what I lak is the detailed kno ho an skill to effect any repair.

Videos -

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/?s=dm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BphJmU5nHfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edxjwOXMglc

I hope some finds these useful -  they must be just a tiny selection of the procedures vailable for repair (probably none authorised by HP who want you to throw it away and buy a new model ftom HP)

Woodward

1.March.2016

Always see this problem with HP laptop. To replace the cover costs about $90 on ebay. If you don't want to spend $90, in this video you will find a cheap solution. I already fixed 2 hp laptops by this solution, they was happy because it costs $0.
Complete disassembly of HP Pavilion dm4-1000 series motherboard, cpu, lcd screen assembly, dc powerjack, etc. www.ifixiteasy.com
HP Recommended

Oh dear !  on re-reading my post I realise what a terrible typist I am, and also an awful proof-reader !  Sorry, everyone.

I have two further ways to circumvent this issue, neither of which avoids the design problem that seems to present in HP laptops  of this type:  both involve  spending more money.

1.  If you do not use laptop for the purpose for which it's designed (carrying around with you - anyway I feel that tablets are better suited for that purpose), buy a wireless k/b & mouse etc (from £10 - $15: I got this for around £7) & decent screen  (from £50 - $75: I paid ~£70 for an as-new 21.5", 1080 x 1920 native, VGA/DVI/HDMI). I can now sit viewing the screen with k/b in lap and mouse on arm-rest.

2. Replace your broken laptop with a model so similar that it is easy to simply swap you hard drive into the similar model, thus preserving your work and familiarity with your software at a stroke, while getting a mechanically sound laptop, like a hermit crab changing its shell ! (never done this, so I don't know if it works.  You must at least  be using the  same generation CPU I think, in the dm4 series; this is denoted by the numeral x in the model number dm4-xywz ab)

Woodwood

21.April.2016 

HP Recommended

I am looking for somewhere to order the parts. The screen frame is broken, both hinges are gone, but the PC is otherwise in excelent condition functionally. Can anybody help me there? The model number is: HP Pavilion DM4 

Thnaks for your support.

Serial Number : CNU0261PSC Product Number : XG191PA#AB4   Description : HP PAVILION DM4-1030TX ENTERTAINMENT

HP Recommended

-> Rog67

HP support (UK) told me these parts were no longer available (this is common: you're supposed to buy a complete new computer every n years, where n<3).

Some or all of the parts you need are available from ebay or similiar sitews, either as used parts cannibalised from otherwise damaged machines, or non-OEM parts manufactured for that purpose.  Check if the pparts will fit your model;  many will fit a wide range of models byt there qwill be some that do not fit other ranges (for example, some batteries will fir a a number of models, but the same battery might unsuitable for certain ranges [ranges of mofels = series of models)

Hinges are easy to find, hinge covers if you need them are fairly common  (go to ebay and type imn the search box "dm4 hinges" and take your pick (ensuring you choose one appropriate to your 1030TX - I think 95 of them would be), Take care when reassembling, do not lose any screws, which may be self tapping, I'm not sure.  I don't know about availability of screen bezels, but these "seem" easy to replace.  Take care with your screen.

You will need find instructions (eg official manuals or better, youtube videos of person doing the equivalent tasks)  Consult a number of these to get a feel as to how to approach your particular job.  I suspect the most difficuklt part will be physically attaching the screen to the hinges, and the hinges to to body of the laptop, whichever parts of this assembly you need to undertake.

My dm41000 series is in a similar condition but the hinges are detached from the the body of the laptop, or the screen (because they became immovably stiff), the frame (aka the bezel) around ther screen is broken, and subsequent tio this the screen  became damaged in an area.  Now I use the PC with an wireless mouse & k/b and an external monitor - essentially, it has become a desktop.

Let us know how you get on please.

Woodwood

25.October.2016

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.