Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

-> Dfowler

Yes it is possible to use an external display and/or external keyboard and/or external mouse with your dm4 if the computer bit is still working

My dm4 is such a bed state wrt hinges that I've taken to using an HDMI wire-connected monitor, which is actually much better for me the built-in screen, a full-sized wireless keyboard and a wired (USB) mouse (I suspected the wireless one of not working properly AND it guzzled batteries - I had to chaange them every 2 days (rechargeables)).

Thia may not solve your boot error problem, you may need to other measures to fix that. Having searched the forum for boot error, I recommend starting starting another thread on this issue if it persists.  (I recently had a boot error on this computer, a dm4-1050ea, now solved ) )

Woodwood

20.March.2017

HP Recommended

0xc000000f is what i get, i have a win 7 disc or upgrade disc from a friend but does nothing for me, f11 isnt working, just goes to black screen, tried boot order default, removed externals and discs.. nothing yet, just that code, and ran a hd test, dunno what the results were, seemed to not even finish itbut didnt say failed and went back to screen before

HP Recommended

->Everyone with a dm4 hinge issue

I recommend the thread HP Dm4-1065dx left hinge broken!! in this forum.  You are not alone - this topic alone has over 100 posts, including a fix (to be tried by only "skilled" [dextrous] and careful ppl).  It's basically the same fix as outlined in the Youtube video I posted earlier in  this thread (for which I take no credit).

Other discussions/fixes can be found by searhing the web using dm4 broken hinge

Hinge problems on all models of HP laptop for home use of this period, including the dm4's, seem to be universally acknowledged by everyone except HP as the result  of a design fault.  Under English law these models might be described as not "fit for purpose"  ??  (although that  'warranty' last for only 6 years, and probably doesn't apply to computers ! 

(to dissemble/re-assemble your dm4 consult the service manual and

insidemylaptop disassemble--dm4-laptop/

and

youtube - dissemble a dm4 laptop  (be careful with electric screwdrivers, they can weear the cross head patterns of the screws so that they only be removed by  drilling, or strip threads, or on reassembly over-tighten screws.

If you want clean the computer's fan thoroughly, or upgrade/replace the CPU, you will need to strip your computer down as shown)

Take care to keep track of the screws and where they came from.  Allow plenty of time and a large clear operating space

Woodwood

20.March.2017

HP Recommended

-> Dfowler89

That's the error I got too, at the last line under info.  I can supply a full version of the error that appeared on my screen after the HP  "splash" screen, but it's on my other computer.  Please continue  these posts either in seperate thread, or in the thread I thread I linked to below.  If the latter, although 'solved', I will be informed of any new posts.

Please see the thread Re: "windows failed to start a recent hardware or software c...

Please start at my first post and read through all the rest.  You are welcome to try chimney83's suggestion but it turned out not to be suitable for me after I had spent ages researching it, and my attampts to contact  the relevant department in HP support came to nothing (does HP Support even in fact exist ?!!).

Woodwood

20.March.2017

HP Recommended

Hi @Woodwood,

Welcome to the HP forums! Aver good day to you. 🙂

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum. 

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

->DavidSMP

Thank you.

If by my "issue" you mean damaged hinges on my dm4-1050ea, I was eventually able to discuss this HP Support (UK) by email, which is my preferred method of communication (indeed, the only practical one for me).  I can't  remember now if described, in a post in the forum - this thead -, the outcome of these discussions.

You may surmise that the Pavilion dm4 models are, at the time of writing, 'out of warranty' (mine is), and also that there are dm4s in good condition even now.

The outcomes of those discussions on what to do about repairing the damaged computer were that HP did not have the parts to do the job, in no way could HP obtain or make the necessary parts, at any cost, and HP no longer had the know-how to effect such a repair at the time these discussions took place.  Besides which, I have subsequently uncovered enough material to conclude that any repair carried by HP would fail again again very soon because it would be be merely reworking the same design flaw, not addressing that flaw directly.

The best HP could do was offer me a discount on new notebook computer, which was good of them, but which would still be far more expensive (and probably better) than a used dm4 in immaculate condition.  I believe that my dm4-1050ea is still adequate for what I need it to do at the present time.

Woodwood

20.March.2017

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

and an update, i got the lcd screen i ordered and its working just need firm back frame now

HP Recommended

Great to hear that you got the screen working - it cost $30-$50 ?

About the top cover - I don't know it the one for the dv6 will fit a dm4; it seems the dm4-1000 and dm4-2000 series all have the same top cover p/n, and the dv series have a different top cover p/n.  I couldn't find any evidence of compatibility between the two, nor any for incompatibility.  Looks very similar though ?  tho' if you look here, they have a 15.6in screen which would make the top cover incompatible. The specification given in the HP dv6 maintenance and service manual on p.5 for the dv6 range confirm this

Top covers for dm4s seem expensive ust now: I'd wait for a cheaper one to come along.  What happened to your original top cover ?

Woodwood

21.March.2017

HP Recommended

my original one was busted due to the poor quality hp original hinges failing. busted out a couple screw holders and a plastic piece.. couldnt install new screen but it started up when i tested it just with wires.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.