Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

i want to try and repair mine but not sure if hot glue and superglue will work when the hinges are still bad and will strain any attempt to open or close new screen. unsure if replacement hinges from 3rd party will be easier to open and close or not. my concern is just screen attachment. not sure if any screws were lost seem to have most. just frustrating knowing there was a recall and no one was notified. and it was such a short recall period. 

HP Recommended

Glue won't hold. You really need  to drill holes right through and use longer screws with nuts on to hold them outside the metal cover, or else you'll get the same problem.  See the thread I posted on the dm4-1165, and/or the you tube vid. 

I don't how stiff the hinges are supposed to be - to hold the screen in place when new they must be fairly stiff, and the screen will seem easier to rotate because you've got the vertical height of screen to act as a lever, compared to the just operating the hinge assembly by itself..

Note that left and right hinges are different.  The maintenance manual implies that four screws need to be removed to take out the hinges off the screen assy, 2 mylar ones and 2 metal ones, but that doesn't mean that is the total number of screws.  I can't really see on mine.  I think you're going to need new and different screws to complete this putative work anyway - ppl have used betwwen 2 and four screws per hinge, but all that is irrelevantif going to get a working top cover and put it it together like a new one,  Just follow the instuction for dissembly/reassembly substituting the new part for reassembly. 

If you attempt  fix  the screen back onto the  body, be sure to read the service and maintenance cover to cover, every word, and watch the instructional videos BEFORE you start.  Be sure what you are going to attempt before you start, and the exact procedures you will need to use.  One of the posters on the 1165 thread said the dissembly procedure took FOUR hours.

You mean there was a recall ?  First I've heard of it.  No-one else has remarked on it either, from support or other people with an interest in this.

Woodwood

21.March.2017

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

->Dfowler89

Thank you for the link.

Not only is the "recall period" long over, but the post you directed me to is closed. 

The latest comment in that link starts "Today is April 2, 2016 and ..." and concerns a laptop new in 2013.  So it would appear that HP were still making and selling laptops with this defect years after they knew of it - maybe they still are: lesson. do not buy HP.  Other makers may be as bad though.

My laptop, sorry, notebook,  was made in 2011 I think, so the "enhancement programme" would not apply to it.

Woodwood

22.March.2017

HP Recommended

The Screen is coming off.The Screen is coming off.

@Huffer wrote:

Can we have your exact model? Yes, the hinges and the plastic casing pieces are available from HP or on eBay or from other sources. The hinges are cheap but the big plastic chassis parts tend to be expensive and if you are going to replace the lower case "tub" it means removing the mainboard and essentially rebuilding the laptop from the ground up. Can you post pictures so we can figure out what is broken so we can determine the parts you need?

i was hoping you could message me in regards to this problem, i have a used laptop i recieved off best buy. and it works compokletly fine, but it seems to be coming out of place now, how much is it to fix this issue.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.