Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
14-bp059sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

My HP laptop (14-bp059sa) recently got affected by this weird issue that seems to occur when it wakes up from sleep/hibernation, or from a shutdown done with fast startup enabled.

When you wake it up for the second time, the process "System interrupts" starts taking 25-30% of the CPU. I checked which driver was requesting all these interrupts, and I narrowed it down to the SD controller (Intel SD Controller in device manager), which controls the eMMC as far as I know.

I started having these issues after installing the F.18 BIOS through HP Support Assistant.

Here are the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Start the PC up.

2. Once Windows is booted up and at the desktop, put it into sleep mode.

3. Wake it up.

4. Check task manager, CPU usage should still be fine.

5. Put it into sleep mode again.

6. Check task manager now, CPU usage should hover around 50-60%, with 30% used by "System interrupts".

Possible cause of the issue: BIOS upgrade from version F.13 to F.18. The upgrade was recommended by HP Support Assistant.

Laptop: HP 14-bp059sa (Celeron N3060, 4GB RAM, 64GB eMMC)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Keppy99

I understand your concerns.

I will take this as a feedback and update to the concerns team.

Have a nice day!!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Here's a video of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ymzTeICAho&feature=youtu.be

I forgot to mention that it happens on a clean install of Windows 10 too, with no extra software installed.

I also tried Windows 8.1, and it seems to be affected as well.

HP Recommended

UP? I need this laptop asap for work, and it won't do with this bug.

HP Recommended

@Keppy99 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that high CPU usage after the sleep mode woke up.

I would suggest you downgrade the BIOS and check for the issue.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

I am unable to downgrade the BIOS. The program tells me that the BIOS is not compatible, which I guess is a safe way to prevent people from using exploits.

I tried the Win+B recovery thing on boot, but all I get is a blinking Caps Lock key (2 long 2 short) and then the Windows loading screen.

For that to work I'm supposed to create the USB key using the BIOS utility if I recall correctly, right?

Immagine.png

HP Recommended

So, after a few retries, I decided to force the downgrade using the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI.
I made the recovery stick with the F.13 BIOS upgrade tool, then pointed the diagnostics tool to the 0835D.BIN file, which is the BIOS for my laptop.

This is the error I got:

a0f7b1f1-3feb-4ee2-8363-71bc906ffa9d.jpg

HP Recommended

@Keppy99

Thank you for the update.

You have to perform the BIOS recovery using the flash drive

Please refer to the following link to create and perform the BIOS recovery.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02693833

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

The Win+B recovery method does not work, even with a USB stick plugged in.

HP Recommended

@Keppy99

I would suggest you contact phone support

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I don't think it's an option for me, since the warranty is expired.

All I get is a link that redirects to the forums, which is how I started this topic anyway.

I'd appreciate if you could please report this issue to the BIOS developer team, so that they can maybe fix the issue. If my laptop is affected, other laptops could be affected too. Hardware is original, the computer has never been took apart, so there are no external factors that could cause this issue aside from the BIOS upgrade.
Again, the laptop is barely usable when the issue arises, and downgrading the BIOS is a no-go, since the computer won't let me do that.

Thank you anyway for trying to help.

chrome_JtFjxNuiSi.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.