Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 14-cf0010ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

my notebook HP 14-cf0010ur with i5 8250 CPU throttling too much. Under load it boost up frequency to 3.2GHz, then after 4-5 seconds it falls to 1GHz or even lower. IXTU says that it's the power throttling, and maximum TDP is 5-6W. Tempereature always about 50C, never raises. and CPU fan always at low speed. How to make this thing work without such aggressive throttling?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Anthony_k

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Updating the BIOS and checking for updates in HP Support assistant may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps: 

Step 1: Update Windows

Select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & Security Windows Update, and select Check for updates

Step 2: Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Step 3: Update BIOS

Click here to download the latest BIOS update from HP Support site.

Also, go into task manager and see if the CPU, hard drive and network are being excessively used by any of the installed applications. 

Let me know how this goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok. Will try to install HP Support Assistant

But latest bios is already installed, found no difference in throttling behaviour comparing to previous version

HP Recommended

@Anthony_k

Sure, you can follow the steps mentioned in my previous post. If the issue persists, run a CPU Stress test.

• Search windows for and open HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Window on your PC
  • Click on Component tests > Processor > CPU Stress Test.
  • Note: If you do not find HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Window on your PC, click here to download the same.

Keep me posted.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just updateded drivers via HP support assistant, except not in use like intel rapid storage, wireless button, etc. And run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics CPU stress test, what i have to say, this cpu test is very weak, it loads cpu to about 50%, short peaks to 70% and frequency is sustained about 2ghz. But when i do tasks like large file archiving, video coding or other serious loads, frequency drops below 1,6GHz ( if cpu load 90% than freq fluctuates from 1.4 to 1.5ghz, if cpu load 100% then i see fluctuation from  990mhz to 1.8GHz, mainly under 1.4GHz)

In all cases CPU temperature under 50C and i barely hear CPU fan even if i put my ear on notebook case. I know that fan able operate at faster speed, during BIOS update i hear it blowing very good.

I don't like this behaviour, why BIOS doesn't allow CPU to work harder? u8250 tdp is 15W, but in this case it runs at 6W at max

HP Recommended

@Anthony_k

Since the issue is not resolved by the recommended steps, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No service required, it's bios issue. Check out this review https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-14-i5-8250U-Intel-Optane-Memory-HD-Display-Laptop-Review.328732.0.h...

they had exactly same issue, and only very first bios version was good. what a shame, current version is 34 and this bug still persist

I'm was able to solve this issue, but with third party software, quite a bit disappointed with HP approach to software development

HP Recommended

@Anthony_k

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.