Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Unfortunately, HP is not recalling our computers for the hinge design defect. Until a class-action lawsuit is filed, we must hold on to our receipts and computers for the inevitable lawsuit. All new HP computers have redesigned hinges twice the size of our defective small hinges
HP Recommended
Thousands of us have the same problem. Until a class-action lawsuit is filed hold on to your receipt and computer. The hinge is connected to a plastic frame glued to the metal display lid. The plastic cannot support the hinge opening and closing force for long. Then it breaks and destroys the display. HP is trying their best to sweep this under the rug. I paid $800 for my dm4 that sat on my table for 18 months. The new HP computers have redesigned hinges TWICE the size of the defective hinges...
HP Recommended

12/04/14 - Jeff reached out to customer

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Have the same issue with the left hinge on my  HP Pavilion dm4-2184nr. HP support is of no use even though they know this issue is across the board on all the dm4 laptops.

HP Recommended

@teakadai 

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Hello Omar and Jeff - HP Employees. Contacting us privately and offering us print cartridges or a $75.00 gift card for purchases at the HP store is not what we want. We paid up to $1000 for our dm4 laptops and after less than two years these hinges are falling apart rendering our computers useless. Thousands of people posting on social media cannot be wrong!

What we want is a substantial credit towards the purchase of a new HP computer with the redesigned hinges twice the size of the faulty hinges. My personal dm4 laptop sat on my kitchen table for 18 months with minimal opening and closing yet the hinges fell apart. My work Dell computer that I used for five years, opening and closing multiple times per day, never had a hinge issue. Talk to your people and offer us a substantial credit towards the purchase of a new HP laptop computer. It's the socially-conscious, corporately responsible thing to do.

HP Recommended

Looking at this forum, I can say thousands of people (including me) are facing challenges with broken hinge issue on DM4 laptops. I bought this laptop few years ago and its left hinge is broken. After paying hefty price for this laptop, I ended up using it as a desktop. HP should recall this laptop and provide refund to its users.

Meanwhile can somebody suggest a solution. Can I fix it by myself if I purchase parts in ebay?

HP Recommended

You can fix it yourself but the new parts required are several hundred dollars if you can find them. HP no longer sells parts for our computer! The metal hinge attaches to a plastic frame bonded to the interior total perimeter surface of the display lid. It's this plastic interior frame that deteriorates and breaks apart - not the metal hinge itself. You must purchase a new display lid complete with a newly bonded interior plastic frame, couple hundred dollars if you can find one in the aftermarket. However, the plastic ages, hardens and will break apart in two years or less. Finally, in order to get to the hinge area, you must remove seven major components including the disc drive, hard drive, memory, keyboard and the display itself. HP - HELP US!! Provide us with a substantial credit towards a new computer - PLEASE!!    

HP Recommended

Hello, i currently own the  HP Envy M6-1102SA. This is the second time I have had an issue with the hinge coming loose, and i would like to know what I can do to repair this. Currently I am a university student and with the bulk of my work on this laptop time is an issue, and dealing with HP previously I already have grievances with the customer support you provide, however simply i would like to know what HP can do about this, and with the vast number of complaints and other similar issues i've seen in many threads across the forums, what action will HP take in resolving this if any?

Thanks

HP Recommended
Particularly in my case HP stopped supporting the model which is just 4 year old. They declined to provide me any support even when I was willing to pay. I really wonder how can company stop support for high value product in just 4 years. As I am not getting support from HP Support desk, I plan to escalate this to HP management.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.