Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem in my dm4 2180us. Since it's out of warranty , I am shopping the local repair shops on the cost. But after going through the forum it seems even after replacing the broken part, the problem could reccur. Does someone know any alternate solution to this issue. like using a sturdy hinge from a different model.

HP Recommended

@girikannat 

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

The first repair HP did on my laptop didn't work for long,  but the second one seems to be holding... so far! (touching wood)

HP Recommended

Hey girikannat (and others who recently posted),

Based on what I have seen in this thread, there clearly isn't much, if anything at all, that HP will do for this issue. However...

If you look back into posts on this issue, somewhere on pages 2-4 (I think) there were some pictures posted by a user called "hmmmmmm" (please don't quote me on the exact number of "m"s..); and then later, a brief description of the process by the same user. It looks like an excellent hack for the hinge issue and only cost that person some time and and the cost of a few nuts and bolts...

I think I am going to give this a try for my wife's DM4-1065. It has been a pretty good computer aside from the hinge issue...

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Brought my DM4 about four years ago. Left hinge started breaking within a year but I blamed myself (or more accurately I blamed my wife) and I assumed if we were more careful with it then it wouldn't get any worse. This was wrong, it did get worse. We abandoned opening and closing the laptop about two years ago but the hinge was still slowly breaking to the point now where it is now totally shattered, and I wouldn't dare move the screen more than a few degrees back or forward never mind close it. It's a good job this laptop stays at home because it's has completely lost all portability. 

Some vertical lines appeared on the screen above the hinge about a year ago. Then a few more, and then a few more and now this past weekend about 2 inches of the left hand side of the screen has gone black, another inch strip at the bottom keeps fading in and out and a small crack has appeared in the screen just above the hinge.

I can still browse and use some software by changing the size of the window to fit the remaining working screen, and I've dragged the windows taskbar over to the right of the screen so I can still see the start menu, but I get the feeling the end is nigh. I might hook it up to an external monitor to try and eek a few more months out of it.

Shame really as apart from this and the overheating it has been a good laptop, it's still quite zippy despite being full of all sorts of nonsense by now.

HP Recommended

@HPSauce12 ,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello girikannat, RandomHuman, HP sauce12, teakadi, AbhijitD and 100 others... HP will not help you. Omar-E, Jeff, kevin-t all work for HP and will offer you a token bowl of rice or a print cartridge for you to go away... you are on your own. HOWEVER, I will explain the issue again and explain a fix IF you are up to the challenge. The hinge is NOT the issue. The hinge attaches to a black PLASTIC frame that is glued to the aluminum top on the inside. The plastic inner frame disintegrates and breaks apart. It is NOT the hinge but the plastic attachment point inside ithat breaks apart and destroys the display. If you wish to fix this hinge on your own you must remove the hard drive, memory, dvd drive, bottom cover, keyboard, top cover, display cover to finally reveal the hinge area. You must drill holes through the aluminum top and secure the hinge directly to the aluminum top cover with small screws and nuts - see my picture. In addition, I used epoxy resin over the nuts to hold them securely.  HP has the entire removal procedure on their website. But, they do not show how to drill through the top to secure the hinge directly. It took me 8 hours to complete this procedure. I wish there was a faster fix, but this is why HP will NOT HELP YOU... It's a time-consuming and very costly repair. Hinge Close Up Web.jpg 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have dm4 2070us with the hinge issue the left hinge is broken and is out of warranty any help would be appriciated

HP Recommended
Hey All,

I finally got to fixing the hinge on my wife's computer. My experience was somewhat different from some other users.

The fix was very similar to that of user hmmmmm (# of m's not exact) and others with some variation. The simple fix is that you need to affix the hinge to the exterior case of the laptop (and count ourselves lucky it's metal and not plastic!). Replacing the internal plastic frame would be rather more complex and only last a short period of time.

I removed the bezel and drilled holes in the cover, inserted screws. reinforced with washers and secured with nuts.
- #4-40 screws worked well (bought from Lowe's in the U.S.), 3/8 inch length screws worked very well and almost doesn't require sawing (just one screw of 3). Recommend 3 screws per hinge for best chance at stability/support.
- bezel pops off with guitar pick or similar device and snaps back into place. Patiently work your way around.
- interior plastic frame was fairly intact in my case except for where the hinge screws pulled through (what an absolute "lemon" of a design...).
- hinge metal was hard for my drill bits (had to widen the holes to accommodate those #4 screws) but Dremel tool worked quite well (low to medium RPMs or you can melt the bit like I did...)
- didn't have to break off the hinge cover (1 remained) as the bezel came out from behind it
- I used pan head screws so the reassembled laptop would not quite close properly until I drilled holes in the bezel to allow space for the screw head. It shows but it's not severe at all.
- seems #4 lock washers have to be ordered so epoxy is interesting as a fixer but takes time to harden
- total time about 1:30-45 includes trip to Lowe's after melting the Dremel bit.

Disappointed in HP's design here as you'd figure an engineer would know that thin plastic frame would not hold up in this application. This rather nice laptop has a sweet aluminum shell, why wouldn't you just add protruding screw holes in the mold for the lid? (Anyone from HP want to pick this one up?)

At least it can be fixed, though! Thanks to the examples provided by hmmmm. Good luck everyone!
HP Recommended
One more thing...my experience was VERY different from that of user dzmsyw:

- I did NOT find it necessary to get into the bottom part of the computer AT ALL. I repaired just one hinge with the laptop still otherwise completely intact (positioned as it would be while using it). No hard drive, no battery, no DVD drive, no keyboard, no nothin'! Don't bother with any of that!

- Removing the bezel of the screen on the top (screen) half of the computer was ALL I needed to do to see the hinge, etc. and do all the work on the hinge/case. Just remove the bezel (1-2 minutes, tops!) and see for yourself! Just take care as you do the repair (it's a computer, right?).

- only thing I am likely to do differently for the right hinge is after drilling holes in the case, snap the bezel back on and drill from the other side through the the bezel to have more accurate placement of the holes to accommodate the screw heads. Then pop off the bezel, install the screws, pop the bezel back on and done! I expect the whole thing to take 15-20 minutes for the second hinge.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.