Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY - 13-aq1059tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Envy inbuilt camera does not work anymore on any software. Whenever I open the Windows Camera application it appears with the error message 0xA00F4244<NoCamerasAreAttached>

I have looked through the device manager and have found no trace of any drivers for the camera. I have also noticed that the kill switch located on the left hand side of the laptop does not seem it work at all anymore (It will not longer tell me on screen if I turn it off or on).

I have also tried resetting my laptop a number of times through Windows Recovery Environment. My laptop won't reset and whenever I turn it back on, it tells me it is undoing changes. 

The HP Support Assistant offers no help regarding camera drivers also.

I have run out of options and I really need this camera to be functional for online classes.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Austin 

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello @austink01,

Please check the document here for the solution. 

I may have missed your model series in my document so I'll be updating that later.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

@EddyK,

As stated in my question, I had attempted to troubleshoot the killswitch, this did not work. Windows 10 no longer recognises the killswitch either. 

Your solution is not relevant to my problem.

Regards,

Austin

HP Recommended

Hello @austink01,

Have you attempted a BIOS update?

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)

Description:

This package provides an update to the System BIOS. The update installs on supported notebook models using a supported Microsoft Windows Operating System. Restart the system to complete the installation.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp100501-101000/sp100762.exe 

HP Recommended

@Eddyk,

The link you attached is unavailable.

I have already tried updating the BIOS. I will try it again if you send a fixed link.

Appreciate the help.

HP Recommended

Hello @austink01,

Sorry about that. Please check the latest BIOS update available here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-13-aq1000-laptop-pc-series/29126477/model/3...

However, you did mention that you already tried to update the BIOS. Do you perhaps remember if your webcam worked at all? You can try to reattempt a complete reset after installing the Push Button Reset Update at the bottom of the Software and Drivers page I linked above. It's located under Software-Solutions.

I feel like your issue is simply an outlier but I've been noticing a sudden peak in the webcam not found issue and I'm trying to check with other users if their privacy camera kill switch is also not functioning properly. Someone with a model within the same series as yours recently posted here as well. 

HP Recommended

.@eddyk,

I have just done the BIOS update. It did not work. I also installed the Push Button Reset Update. It also did not work. 

My webcam use to work but it was when I purchased the machine in January. I do not remember exactly when it did not work. 

I have tried every other solution there is on the HP Support community and other sites.

Austin

HP Recommended

I recommended the Push Button Reset Update as it may solve your issue of being unable to reset your laptop, as you mentioned in your first post.

There could be a small likelihood that the camera kill switch has malfunctioned but it might be worth it trying a reset or complete system recovery. 

I'll check with others if they have any suggestions.

HP Recommended

.@EddyK,

Apologies for the delay in response.

As stated previously,  I had installed the Push Button Restart and it DID NOT WORK.

I factory reset my computer (for the second time) tonight with a fresh install of Windows from Microsoft's website. This install did not recognize the webcam nor the kill switch. 

Every single solution I have searched for both on the HP Community website and other third party websites did NOT WORK.  

I am under the impression that it is a hardware issue. I am not prepared to open up my laptop because it will void my warranty.

What solution do you propose? A return and refund would be suffice as I cannot afford to wait while this device is being repaired. 

HP Recommended

For the third time, the push button reset is not supposed to instantly solve your issue. It's supposed to resolve any issues with resetting your laptop since you had initially mentioned that you're unable to conduct a reset.

Furthermore, I don't know how long you've owned this laptop for but if it's within the refund policy window then I'd highly recommend you do that. You'll have to get in touch with sales though.

Otherwise, if you're in warranty, then you can contact HP although they're probably going to request you send it in for repair.

Contact HP Worldwide here.

Phone HP Worldwide here.

Check warranty status here.

Find an HP Authorized Service Center near you here.

Besides the one other encounter with a user who's having issues with their privacy camera kill switch on a different model, your case is quite unique.

There's nothing much else I can do. If I see enough of a trend in the hardware malfunctioning of the kill switches, I'll pass it on to an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.