Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm writing with regards to my HP Envy TouchSmart 15 Notebook PC, model: 15-j003cl. I love my laptop but recently, I've been experiencing problems with the bottom of the case at the rear separating at the hinges and rear corners. I can hear cracking every time I lift open the screen, and you can hear little pieces of plastic rattling all inside the laptop. The screen cannot be held up steadily anymore as the hinges are no longer supported by the breaking case. The hinges themselves don't seem broken, just the plastic that's around the hinge areas. The two corner screws at the rear-bottom of the case no longer hold the case together. There is no threading at the back end, so the screws have nothing to screw into when I use a screwdriver. I can't seal the case. The bottom of the case in the rear on both the left and right side corners no longer sit flush and you can see the separation. I'm afraid the entire rear corners of the case will continue to separate and the hardware within will not be attached/connected correctly. I'm unable to find a HP contact email to send this inquiry. Anybody know how to help get HP support? My laptop is not under warranty, but I can't find a place to submit my inquiry. I included pictures below. Thank you!

Left rear - screen openLeft rear - screen open

Left rear - screen closedLeft rear - screen closed

Right rear - screen closedRight rear - screen closed

Right rear - screen openRight rear - screen open

Bottom - left rearBottom - left rear

Bottom - left rearBottom - left rear

Bottom - right rearBottom - right rear

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@YaStar2006 

Yes, it is likely the hinges.

Yes, it will be worse every time you open and close the computer. 

You know this: Best avoid causing more damage if possible - leave it open or leave it closed (and off).  The constant flexing is not helping. 

Yes, it is possible that at some point the damage will prevent the computer from working at all.

It is sad and I am sorry it happened to your computer.

Regardless of the exact underlying cause of the problem:

Do keep all your data (files and folders) backed up to other than on the computer itself.  Current backups are essential to protect your data.  If the computer suddenly becomes unusable, it will be too late to backtrack.

That said...

• I have submitted a request that someone take a look.
  • Please know that because our Community is not HP Technical Support, we are not a direct conduit to HP.
  • Our request for assistance on your behalf does not influence the outcome:  Our request is not a magic back door into HP.
  • When there is a response, a Community moderator / agent will (should) post back on this thread before using other methods to contact you. 
  • Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message by “new members”.  Vermin are looking for victims.

Note to those reading:

• Please do not post any personal or case information here - we cannot make use of the data. 
  • Posting personal information at a public site increases your risk from scammers.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@YaStar2006 I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.