Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy X360 13-ar0017AU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi 

Brand new Envy X360 overheating 

Especially overheats when lid is closed or sleep mode. Will also overheat during windows updates when restarting. 

Computer gets that hot it crashes. Laptop becomes very hot to touch. 

Windows updates and Bios up to date 

Fan is constantly running 

Thanks 

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

@Jack4481 Greetings from the HP Community!

Click here for steps to resolve overheating issues, you could try reducing the resolution on the in-game settings (if any game is being played, ignore if not) and switch the windows settings to performance rather than visual effects to make a minor change, however, the game may heat up your PC, hence make sure you are using a cooling pad as well, to be on a safer side.

Here's how you change windows settings:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Recently purchased my HP Envy x360 based on the recommendation that the metal casing will not overheat as much as the plastic one. Well, that is not the case.  I just updated the Radeon and now it's shutting down, even when off/closed and not restarting until it cools down.  Currently using it in front of an open window (it is secured) in order to write this.  I have charged this overnight without this happening prior to updating Radeon.  I do NOT play games on my laptop (though this is one of the reasons I looked at this one).  It doesn't turn off unless I'm not active on it and instead of going into sleep mode (which it has done in the past) it shuts off, and it's hot.  Please explain why this is happening?  

HP Recommended

@Nervavels I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've just posted practicaly the same question. Laptop overheats when going to suspend (sleep) mode.

It must have to do something with suspending the fans but not suspending the processor. This problem is much more than graphic settings. I'm concerned that the laptop can go on fire !

HP Recommended

Same issue here. It doesn't seem to run too hot in normal use, but overheats badly when put to sleep. There's clearly something running in the background that doesn't shut down when sleep is enabled.

Not 100% sure, but I think the problem mostly appears when sleep is initiated by closing the lid. Manually selecting sleep doesn't seem to do it.

HP Recommended

@DrMark05

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01657439

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for getting in touch. The support assistant didn't identify any required updates so I ended up doing a fresh install of Windows 10. All running fine now, so I suspect there is something in the OEM build that is preventing the computer from going into sleep.

Kind regards,

Mark

HP Recommended

@DrMark05

I'm glad you got this issue sorted out

Do visit our HP Support Community and drop us a message anytime you need help

Thank you 😊

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

My friend, I wouldn't realy call reinstalling windows - sorted out

I didn't reinstall my, but the issue didn't repeat it self (yet). In fact, at this point I did nothing - but overheating didn't occure .

That bothers me.

No one can claim it won't happen again, right ?

It's not like it happens all-of-the-time. I would like to understand what triggers it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.