Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I've had a Pavilion g6 for about 7+ years now and it hasn't had any issues except for the need to have the battery replaced but recently it has had the 301 error pop up on the start up screen, "The SMART hard disk has detected an imminent failure....". I ran system diagnostics (F2) and this showed " Hardisk SMART Check: FAILED" and "Hard Disk Test: FAILED", it also provided a failure id: QC5A10-615A6E-MFPV5A-60F303.

What does this failure code mean and what are the main causes of this issue in the first place?

Thank you

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Jay179 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting a hard disk error.

According to the failure code, the issue with the hard drive. The part needs to be replaced.

I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi @Praveen196 ,

Thank you very much for your response, I will have a look in to replacing the hard drive. 

I had a two questions in regards to the initial query I posted. Firstly, what are the main causes for the hard drive to reach this point of failure. As well as this, I had notice that the device is quite slow especially when it boots up, taking a while to turn on after a shutdown and also taking 20+ secs to wake up from after it has went into sleep automatically (sometimes the login screen can also be a bit glitchy), is this caused by the failing hard drive. I had assumed this was the case as theses symptoms started around the time of the first 301 error message but I just wanted confirm this with someone who has more technological experience.

Kind regards

HP Recommended

@Jay179 It's hard to mention exactly what would cause a hard drive to crash, however, here are the top 7 reasons:

• Human Error. Its simple human nature, we humans have a propensity to make certain common mistakes. ...
  • Hardware Failure. Problems with the hardware component found in the hard drive itself is another top reason for drive failure. ...
  • Firmware Corruption. ...
  • Heat. ...
  • Water Damage. ...
  • Power Issues. ...
  • Unforeseen Mishaps.

And yes, the two issues are inter-related for sure, however, once the drive is replaced, everything should be okay.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thank you very much for your response confirming that the issues are most probably intertwined. Another question could a cause be malware, just wanted to know if there should be any cause for safety concerns

HP Recommended

@Jay179

I understand your concerns.

Yes, It may cause malware as well.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi,

First question: Thank you very much for your reply but I feel as though there may have been a misunderstanding. I wanted to ask if malware could be the reason that the hard drive has corrupted or failed.

Second question: In addition to this since you said the failing hard drive makes it susceptible to malware, I will also try and get the hard drive fixed as soon as I can but what is the best way to make sure in the meantime nothing bad happens.

Thank you and apologies if this has been a bit tedious

HP Recommended

@Jay179

I understand your concerns.

According to the failure code the issue with the hard drive. The part has to be replaced. 

The main thing is the hard drive is failed. 

I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.