Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I opened my laptop today and the left hinge broke. I posted elsewhere in these forums.

Not a happy camper right now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I got with HP customer support thanks to help from mods/admins here. Since my laptop was out of warranty I did have to pay to have it repaired.

I didn't want to have to pay since this seems to be a major issue but I also didn't want to take it to just anyone. Plus anyone else wanted double what HP was asking.

They charged me $178 give or take some change. I was surprised when I got it back. Not only did they replace the hinge, they also replaced the upper and lower sections of the machine. They also found another issue in the hardware and fixed that too, it was totally unrelated to my problem. They basically checked the entire machine even though it was just a hinge.

I was pretty angry when it happened but am pretty happy with the results. From what I was told, since HP went completely through it I can actually get the warranty reinstated, for a fee of course.

The laptop looks outstanding and works great.

Thanks for the support HP Team.

This issue is therefore and hence shall be known as SOLVED!

EDIT: When CS contacts you, inform them to look in forums for this issue. Some there are not aware that this is a recurring problem.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@D3ADM4N

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Here is a picture of it.

HP Recommended

I got with HP customer support thanks to help from mods/admins here. Since my laptop was out of warranty I did have to pay to have it repaired.

I didn't want to have to pay since this seems to be a major issue but I also didn't want to take it to just anyone. Plus anyone else wanted double what HP was asking.

They charged me $178 give or take some change. I was surprised when I got it back. Not only did they replace the hinge, they also replaced the upper and lower sections of the machine. They also found another issue in the hardware and fixed that too, it was totally unrelated to my problem. They basically checked the entire machine even though it was just a hinge.

I was pretty angry when it happened but am pretty happy with the results. From what I was told, since HP went completely through it I can actually get the warranty reinstated, for a fee of course.

The laptop looks outstanding and works great.

Thanks for the support HP Team.

This issue is therefore and hence shall be known as SOLVED!

EDIT: When CS contacts you, inform them to look in forums for this issue. Some there are not aware that this is a recurring problem.

HP Recommended

I have this exact same issue as described by numerous threads.  I called support and my machine was out of warrenty.

I agreed to have HP repair it for $248 which included shipping, and the new chassis.  I received a email indicating the repair center received it yesterday 2/2/17.  Today I got a call from a HP CASE manager that made me very uncomfortable.  It almost felt a bit scammy.  He kept saying the charges had increased to $370 but he could give me a deal for ~$300.

I am a IT professional and discussed exactly what I wanted when I agreed to the $248 repairs cost.  There was absolutely nothing else wrong other than the chassis and parts associated with fixing this known hinge issue.   I replaced the fan when it got ruined by the plastic bits created when the hinge first started going bad.  I asked for a list of what additional parts where required to complete the fix and the HP CASE manager could not give that to me, even via email.  

$248 was the very outer limit of what fixing this issue was worth to me, unless there has been a major change in the design I know it will happen again.  

I am a bit frustrated.

HP Recommended

@2DMaxLST

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
I took have a broken left hinge on my HP Envy HP 15-J051 i7 laptop which has been cared for as such an expensive laptop. There is not even a scratch on my laptop it looks like new has has never been dropped. Why is there such a big design floor which will lead to such a big repair charge. I use a Lenovo laptop for work daily and the hinges are robust. I only use my HP laptop once a week and had this laptop for three years so has not been used excessively. I do not see why I should pay for the repair of a defect known to HP. HP please advise what your plan is to cover the repair cost as this laptop cost me £900 from PC World.
HP Recommended

@scott1964

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I recommended the exact same model to my sister, turns out she is having the exact same issue, left hinge failure. They are charging her ~575.  This is a know issue.  It  happens to all of these eventually.  You can buy a laptop that will not have hinge failure for 575...  

HP Recommended
All please note a.very nice and extremely helpful HP Service Manager contacted me by telephone and e-mail and advised that they would repair my HP Envy Touchsmart laptop free of charge. My laptop was collected by an official DPD collection agent boxed up my laptop and was fully protected and provided proof of collection in the form of a receipt with a unique reference recognised by HP. My laptop was repaired, fully. Checked over and. Ack with me in five days.
HP were fantastic my confidence has been restored. Thanhs again HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.