Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Attempting to add NVMe m.2 to HP Envy 17 U292cl running windows 10 pro and latest firmware.  Unit has a 7200 1TB HDD currently, and want to keep HDD in unit after.  Support manual references the largest m.2 SSD is 256GB when unit has 1TB HDD. 

Case has been removed and m.2 socket is intact on my model.

Is this a bios limitation?  I would like to add a larger 512GB or larger NVMe m.2 if possible.

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Not sure what Manual you have but this is the correct one:

Manual

Is this what you see inside with back cover removed?

M.2 slot in red ovalM.2 slot in red oval 

You can only use a SATA type 2280 form factor M.2 SSD, not an NVME. The Manual lists up to a 512 but that is just a catalogue of the configurations HP offered from the factory. You can use a larger capacity like a Samsung Evo 860 M.2 which can be found up to at least 2 TB in capacity:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-SATA-Internal-MZ-N6E500BW/dp/B078218TWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Not sure what Manual you have but this is the correct one:

Manual

Is this what you see inside with back cover removed?

M.2 slot in red ovalM.2 slot in red oval 

You can only use a SATA type 2280 form factor M.2 SSD, not an NVME. The Manual lists up to a 512 but that is just a catalogue of the configurations HP offered from the factory. You can use a larger capacity like a Samsung Evo 860 M.2 which can be found up to at least 2 TB in capacity:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-SATA-Internal-MZ-N6E500BW/dp/B078218TWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response, I did have the wrong manual which led to wrong interface.  I will move forward with the SATA m.2 and appreciate your feedback.

HP Recommended

What were the results?

HP Recommended

not good, and very frustrated with HP.  Documentation is lacking and forum support terrible. I have purchased 2 m.2 SATA units, the first MLC, the second TLC and both failed to be recognized by the system after multiple attempts.  I do not have time or patience to experiment and it shouldn't be that difficult with proper documentation.  Very dissapointed in HP.

HP Recommended

Just finished a chat session with HP. They said the max M.2 is 512 GB, 2280, TLC. What is yours? HP said biggerM.2 will cause problems.

HP Recommended

crucial MX500 500GB m.2 sata III 6 gbps 2280 formfactor tlc.  Reseated numerous times, cannot be installe upside down the pin out will not allow.  Simply not recognized after numerous attempts and returned to store.  I gave up on it.

HP Recommended

This is what is frustrating, read this prior post:

From what you were told today, this post is completely wrong.  #1, Samsung EVO 860 is MLC.  #2 post suggests capacity up to 2TB, from what you heard today must be 500GB or less.

How possibly are consumers supposed to figure all the crap out, it should be clearly posted in official HP documentation and it isn't.   

HP Recommended

It would be nice if HP monitored it's own Forum to give us help and accurate information, in a timely manner.

HP Recommended

Nice indeed but this is a User to User Forum. The difference is I have actually installed these things and I can assure you there is no problem with capacities larger than 512 gig per se. The HP person was likely looking at the Manual which only shows up to a 512 gig and their "go to" response is anything different and you are risking trouble. 

The real issue is that there are some models where the M.2 port is actually disabled. We get reports of this every once in a while and the Forum folks have asked HP for an explanation and there has been none. Basically, HP tolerates but does not actually actively support upgrades. All they will assure you is that the unit they sell you as configured is under warranty. The Service Manual is not an upgrade manual and there is no effort to catalogue possible upgrades. There is no express or implied promise that anything can be added. So trying to help people here on the Forum is a mixture of experience and deduction and logic. The Experts do not speak for HP, and most are not HP employees, and there is no access to proprietary engineering data.

Other users have reported success with the Samsung 860 M.2 disks larger than 512 gig. That is what we have to go on.

Seems like is is not TLC vs. MLC as both were tried and neither works and it is not a problem with a capacity more than 512 gigs because the User tried to install a 500 gig Crucial MX500, which is not what I recommended. So there is no actual factual proof anything I said is incorrect. 

I am sorry you are not happy with the help you received here but I assure you we are offering what is available in good faith. But the messenger is shot and will not be coming back. Good luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.