Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

HP Envy only charging after BIOS reupdate

HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-cn0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

For a few months now, I've been having problems charging my laptop. On the battery icon it says "plugged in" but the battery keeps dropping at a slower pace. I've run HP PC Hardware Diagnostics to check my AC adapter and battery. They both passed the tests. I've followed the instructions on this webpage: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00259897, except removing the battery because it is non-removable. I've also tried to uninstall Microsoft AC adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery as described in this webpage: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-fix-a-windows-10-laptop-thats-plugged-in-but-isnt-charging/ (again without removing the battery) without success. Finally, I tried updating the BIOS and this time my laptop started charging and working fine. However, on the following day, the problem appeared again and the only way to "solved" it was by updating the BIOS again (even though the BIOS version was the same). So my question is: How do I solve this? I can't update the BIOS every time I have to charge my laptop.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Specifications

Product name: HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-cn0xxx

[edit]

Product number: 4KG95EA#AB9

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version: 18363.752

System Board: 8484 70.31

System BIOS: F.24

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
27,564 27,518 2,274 3,464
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RicardoS99 If the device functions normally only after a bios update, we may have to revert to the last working bios update using the below steps and then, check if that resolves the issue: 

I suggest you attempt a BIOS recovery to resolve this issue as its occurred after the last bios update, its possible the BIOS update was interrupted causing it to corrupt the system files:

1. Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord.

2. Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds.

Keyboard highlighting the key presses for BIOS recovery

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 3 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, I tried following those steps and everything seemed to be going fine until the PC reboot again and displayed "A BIOS update error has occurred.". After that, it automatically started updating the device firmware. Upon rebooting the PC it seemed to be solved. But on the following attempt to charge the PC again the problem returned. I tried doing the process all over again, but the result was the same.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
27,564 27,518 2,274 3,464
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@RicardoS99 If you've done all that exactly as instructed, yet the issue persists, this could be a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too..

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation