Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I own an HP ENVY x360 Model 13-ay0021nr 
I have attached a photo of the hinge still screwed into the now separated rivets and a photo of the broken rivet pieces near where they had been formerly attached.
My computer is one of the many, and I stress many, ENVY x360s that have had a hinge completely break away from the top panel due to them being screwed into cheap, brittle plastic that deteriorates within 2 years, which happens to be within months of most customers' warranties expiring. This is a serious flaw that your company needs to be held responsible for. The machines are around $1000 and up. They should not be falling apart, especially as the hinges are meant to be the major feature of a x360 convertible laptop.
Options to make this right would include a product recall, refunding all the unfortunate customers who purchased these defective machines, or redesigning the top panel so the hinges are secured to the top panel with something far more durable than this embarrassingly cheap plastic and distributing it to all customers free of charge. Not one customer should have to pay a dime for any of these solutions.
Many other customers have aired their grievances and attempts to resolve this very same problem. This defect is wide-spread and infamous among computer repair facilities.

Hinge still screwed into broken-off rivetsHinge still screwed into broken-off rivetsThe broken piecesThe broken pieces

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue.  I've had my HP Envy for about 2 years and it just recently broke.  The left hinge popped out randomly one day without me damaging it in any way.  This is seriously frustrating since I'm a student and thought I could rely on HP products throughout college.  I can't pay $300 out of pocket to get it fixed.  If the HP company doesn't recall or fix this product, they will lose customers left and right.  NOT impressed.

HP Recommended

Update:

I was able to get HP to repair my computer for free even though it was out of warranty. I called one of the numbers below and explained my problem. They first tried to offer me discounts on repairs and I told them that this is a common issue because of a design flaw and should be fixed for free. The intial person that answered the phone did not have the authority to approve the repair so I asked to speak with a supervisor. They approved the repair and sent me a return prepaid package. The computer was gone for a week and I recieved it back this past Saturday. I highly recommend backing up your entire hard drive before you send your computer out. I hope this information helps some of you in getting your issue resolved. Here are the customer care numbers:

[content removed]

one eight hundred four seven four six eight three six

HP Recommended

Had the same problem 6 months ago on my HPEnvy x360. Wish I had persevered with finding a customer support contact that was actually useful. I took an alternate route, bought a new out case for the screen, disassembled the entire laptop to get the hinges off. This involves moving the camera, network antennas, disconnecting the hard drive, and several other overlapping internal parts and cables before transferring the screen and hinges to the new out screen case, and reassembled. Doing  this yourself is very difficult.

unfortunately but not surprisingly, I made one mistake. You have to separate the screen from the case. You can either use suction cups to pull the screen away from case or pry it off very gently. As there are thin cables inside I was afraid that by pulling it apart, I might break a cable or connector. I opted to pry the screen away. As the screen is actually several components and a couple,of layers, somewhere along the way some damage was done such that the first 30 columns of pixels no longer function. Also the internal metal screen  frame is slightly warped so is not 100% flush with the outer bezel. 

All in all it was a stressful repair, the hinges now work perfectly, the camera, touch sensor, touch screen, network? They all work fine. Just missing those first 30 columns of pixels which means the left side of Windows (start menus) is obscured and makes many programs unusable.

Note: HP has many support videos on disassembling their laptops but these tasks are not consumer levels tasks.
Note 2: My repair costs totalled about $100 including the outer screen case and the special small tools and bits required for disassembly. Not to mention the several hours and stress.

Shame on HP for not taking ownership of this problem.

HP Recommended

Hi HP Community - This morning I opened the screen on my ENVY x360 13-ay0009na Convertible and the bottom left screen delaminated/separated from the bezel and the screen cracked at the same time. I think the screen hinge/clutch may have failed or stuck causing the crack. How can i get this fixed under my 3 Year Carepack warranty?

HP Recommended

Same thing happened to me.  Computer was literally maybe a few weeks out of warranty, lightly used, never dropped and heard the same loud crack.

I just bought another HP to tide me over while I figure d it out but this one is a bad product, really inferior.  Am getting the runaround from HP New Zealand.  I bought it there but am going back to the US and would be happy to take it to a repair center there , but they are saying that is not possible.

But reading all of these threads this appears that it is clearly a design flaw.  HP needs to step up here, I should not have to replace a computer that is one year old because of design issues. 

HP Recommended

And clearly HP needs to step up here for all of us--I have the feeling we are all your beta testers here, even though we paid.  If you're going to make these laptops with these crazy 360 features, you had best make sure it is made with quality and sufficiently tested.

HP Recommended

I NEED SOME HELP FROM HP HERE.  I am in New Zealand but also live in the US.  I have an HP envy here with the hinge break (as in my previous post) and the HP NZ support is abysmal.  I have had to call about 7 times.  Each time, the agents claim to take notes, but when follow up doesn't occur I call back and they say there are no records on the "case".  This is wasting my time.  Right now I have agreed to pay for a service call for someone to repair this (with HP covering the parts) and again, complete incompetence. No one calls back.  

Here's my question.  Can I just get this repaired under warranty by an HP service center in the US?  I can take it in there,  that's easy.  The HP NZ service is unfortunately not good.  Eveyone apologizes and claims "they will take care of it" but nothing is accomplished.  I am running out of pateince here for this design flaw that is now impacting MANY people.  As a lifelong business owner I have bought more HP products than I can even remember, so it is insulting to get this runaround and stress.  

HP Recommended

after finally finding the support no and waiting 35 mins…explained the issue, uploaded some pics and they took care of it. However it was supposed to be back on the 21st Feb.. and no news yet. Good luck!

HP Recommended

I chased my repair today as it should have come back on the 21st Feb...only to be told that this isn't a warranty repair, and i would need to pay. Aside from having to chase them (the engineer comments were made 5 days ago..but no comms to me), i'm shocked at the audacity to try and reject a clear warranty issue...ie poor quality hinge which seized and came away from the screen cover like 100's of other cases here. If this had been dropped/damaged - i'd have no issue but there is no damage. Opening the screen lid to hear the crunching sound made me wince.! I've asked them to escalate the case...no idea how that will play out. I've now engaged with HP.com support on twitter...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.