Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-dc1005nc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings!

This can't be normal right? I've bought a second-hand HP OMEN that still has a year on the warranty and I actually had to send it to service recently because the extra 1TB HDD disappeared overnight (was a faulty HDD cable that was replaced under warranty) and I have read here the repair shop will always run diagnostics before shipping the fixed device back. 

Because they had to replace a faulty cable on the inside of the laptop they had to take it apart. I would only assume since they took the device apart and also run diagnostics after repairing it that if there was a massive dust buildup they would have dealt with it OR if they could see the CPU temperature was always really high they would replace the thermal paste under warranty. 

Is this just a normal thing for the HP OMEN? I can't believe how loud the fans are blasting whenever I'm just simply browsing Reddit, Youtube, or just playing some chess in a web browser. The average CPU temperature when I'm not playing any video games or doing anything else computationally intensive  is constantly in the 70s. 

I've been reading up on this problem on the HP forums and it seems to be a common issue with the OMEN laptops, but people go through a lot of trouble for a lot less. There's posts here where experts recommend to reapply the thermal paste and take apart the OMEN laptop for dust cleaning if the CPU is running 50°C idle while mine is at 75 degrees! 

The CPU is running at 3-10% load in the task manager when this is happening. It's so weird to me that the CPU could heat up to 70 - 75°C when it's barely being used. I live in a cold climate and I also tried lifting the back side of the laptop with a wedged book to make sure the fans have freedom to pull in air more easily but I doubt this would ever make a difference. There is no visible dust on the outside of the intake or output vents and I obviously can't open the laptop to check the inside without voiding the warranty. 

Is this something the HP technicians could have missed before sending back the repaired laptop? Is the HP OMEN laptop just designed to run idle around 70°C? Is running the i7-8750h processor at 70°C all the time going to shorten it's lifespan? 

PS: All the drivers are up to date. I've bought this laptop like a month ago and also wiped and completely reinstalled the OS when i received it. There is nothing suspicious running in Task Manager. I've performed simple tests where I just open a Mozilla  Firefox browser window, the CPU temperature jumps into the 70s shortly after and when I check Task Manager the 3 most CPU intensive tasks running are Firefox, Task Manager itself and Desktop Windows Manager in that order which all add up to like 5% of the total CPU usage as mentioned previously. 

Thank you for reading this all the way to the end. I hope someone will be able to help me with this. 

Best regards 

Guillian

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@GuillianJ 

Please check your vent (in and out) areas. The following image shows my machine

idle.png

I'm reading emails right now and we are in Winter but my room has a heater.

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Could you please elaborate on "please check your vents"? I don't understand what you mean. There is nothing visibly blocking them and there is no dust. This laptop is only 1 year old and it came back from HP service a few days ago when a faulty HDD cable had to be replaced.

And here is what I'm seeing exactly at this moment:

75.PNG

HP Recommended

I have also heard good advice from a friend and checked if the air coming from the vents is cold. It is relatively hot so it doesn't have to be a problem with the application of thermal paste. It feels A LOT colder than some of the surfaces of the laptop though, but it is difficult to decide how much of that can be attributed to the poor heat conductivity of air and how much of it could be an actual difference in temperature between the air coming out of the vents and the surface of the laptop - which would indicate the CPU is having trouble dumping it's waste heat to a heatsink (and then air) through the thermal paste.

HP Recommended

Hi @GuillianJ

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The CPU temperature is hitting 90 degrees Celsisu when I'm playing video games which is REALLY BAD!! I have fan speed maxed out in the Omen Command Center to bring down the temperature as much as it can and it's still this bad. 

Here is a screenshot from HWMonitor I just downloaded to check the values more precisely:hwmonitor.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.