Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 13-a012cl x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop was purchased in Oct 2014, so my warranty was up Sept 2015 - noticed last week that half of the keyboard and trackpad are distended, and determined the battery is swollen - today, noticed the battery is no longer holding a charge - cannot locate any recalls, but two years is awfully short for an HP laptop battery to go bad like this under normal conditions - tried contacting warranty dept with description and was immediately advised to submit my issue to support or forums - 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello kusdane,

Test the Condition of an HP Notebook PC Battery

HP provides a battery check tool you can use to test your battery before ordering a new one. For instructions on testing the condition of your battery, see:

If you want to replace the battery below is the details:

Battery, 3-cell, 43-WHr, 2.83-AHr, Li-ion (includes cable)
Part Number : 761230-005

You may buy it from here : 

1) https://www.amazon.com/13-A010DX-15-U010DX-760944-421-HSTNN-LB6L-761230-005/dp/B00QAA3KVA

2) https://www.amazon.com/13-A010DX-HSTNN-LB6L-760944-421-TPN-Q146-761230-005/dp/B01GH41DB2

3) http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OEM-HP-X360-13-a-Battery-11-4V-43Wh-761230-005-HSTNN-LB6L-/361539654...

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello kusdane,

Test the Condition of an HP Notebook PC Battery

HP provides a battery check tool you can use to test your battery before ordering a new one. For instructions on testing the condition of your battery, see:

If you want to replace the battery below is the details:

Battery, 3-cell, 43-WHr, 2.83-AHr, Li-ion (includes cable)
Part Number : 761230-005

You may buy it from here : 

1) https://www.amazon.com/13-A010DX-15-U010DX-760944-421-HSTNN-LB6L-761230-005/dp/B00QAA3KVA

2) https://www.amazon.com/13-A010DX-HSTNN-LB6L-760944-421-TPN-Q146-761230-005/dp/B01GH41DB2

3) http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OEM-HP-X360-13-a-Battery-11-4V-43Wh-761230-005-HSTNN-LB6L-/361539654...

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thank you for the extensive solution, GBL84! Appreciate the details on the replacement, including part number, and direct links to purchase. Very helpful. Was hoping there was some kind of recall I was missing (probably will be in a couple years), but swapping it out is simple enough. Thanks again!
HP Recommended

You're very Welcome !!

Please check  the below link to see whether your unit qualifys for battery recall !

https://h30686.www3.hp.com/?lang=en-US#tab=id1

All the Best !!   Thanks for being a member!

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The distance between swollen battery and explosion is not so far,

I was suppressing to get a negative attitude from the HP support service,

once I called HP service complaining on my X360, exploring charging and heat issues I noticed during the last year, they repair answer was to update my x360 bios, nothing about the possibility of a real physical issue with the battery itself,

Last week the hard disk died, and I got a no support from HP due to end of my warranty,

I took the x360 to the HP lab to replace the hard disk, but once they open the cover they identify a swollen battery, manufactured on 2014/06, they took it out and I put an order for a new battery, as HP do not have it in the lab.

For me it was clear that all issues I suffered during the last year are a direct result of a defected battery, and in view of the safety issue of such a battery I expected that HP will investigate the case and will issue a recall,

I open a request support asking HP to take the responsibility, but got a big “NO”,

In view of the above I like to call for HP safety investigation of the battery as a safety issue,

taking the responsibility on the defected x360 battery.

I know that now the battery is not listed as a affected products, but clearly after the first exlosion it will be, so I expect HP will take care of it just before the explotion ... , any recomendation ?

HP Recommended

@Chan7

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks so much @Chan7 - appreciate you posting here, as well -- I had read about the possibility of the swollen battery exploding in some other forums - fortunately, I rarely use my laptop except when working from home - but now that I see your post warning of the same, I will cease using it until either HP contacts me, or I just replace the battery myself - 

In addition, since my post, my wife's HP laptop (same type and model, except her laptop is a 17", and was purchased about 14 months later, so around Dec 2015), her battery has also died - her laptop battery is not swollen like mine, but hers will no longer hold a charge - I ran the battery diag from UEFI on hers, and indeed, that confirms her battery is dead - 

Where mine is swollen, and will actually hold a charge, albeit for about 3 mins, hers is completely dead, meaning her laptop has to be plugged into the AC adapter to even power on -

Definitely a problem with their laptop batteries around 2014-2015 -

Thanks again  - good luck with yours!

HP Recommended

Hi @kevin-t 

Just wondering if my issue was also brought to the attention of someone at HP who might actually be able to offer some sort of resolution?

As I mentioned, 2 years for a laptop battery to not just significantly degrade in performance (my laptop battery now only holds about 2 mins of charge), but to swell, which, now to hear about a possible explosion from @Chan's post, is very unsettling!

For the most part, I hardly use the laptop since it has to be plugged in constantly -- and now, my wife's HP laptop, which is the same model/type as mine, but a 17", and purchased in Dec 2015, her battery is completely dead - verified with the battery diag in UEFI - her laptop has to be plugged in to even power on - 

Again, about 2 years - that's two HP laptop batteries both dead within 2 years of purchase - 

Any way you can pass on my issues to wherever they need to go, as well?

(but not the "recall dept", as I mentioned in my original post, neither are under recall, but there is obviously a problem with these batteries)

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.