Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cx0077wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I have an HP Pavilion gaming 15-cx0077wm that is overheating all the time, while in normal usage like browsing and so on I get CPU temperature in it's 60s or 70s and when I launch a game it goes in a second to 95C and gets fixed there, and this cause overheating for the GPU as well since it starts cooler but after a minute or so it goes also to 95C.

I had that problem from when I bought this laptop and I really cannot play any game since FPS starts dropping to very low values after few minutes of playing.

I have my BIOS updated to the latest version according to HP website and all drivers updated (HP Assistant does not show any new update)

Can I get a help in this situation please since I bought it for gaming and I cannot keep playing with an FPS that drops down for 10 or less.

PS: after the BIOS update I got HP CoolSense active but there is no single difference.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Why my posts never get a reply??

HP Recommended

@NouamaneI Click here for steps to resolve overheating issues, you could try reducing the resolution on the in-game settings and switch the windows settings to performance rather than visual effects to make a minor change, however, the game may heat up your PC, hence make sure you are using a cooling pad as well, to be on a safer side.

Here's how you change windows settings:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose to Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and Ok...this should do the trick.

I must let you know that its normal for a gaming PC to heat up, and with an Intel CPU such as the one you have, there's nothing to worry about, for details on why you don't need to worry: Click here to go through the CPU specifications, look under Tjunction of the CPU, it supports up to 100°C.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you do much for your reply sir.

I made the appearance settings to get best performance and while gaming for 5 minutes the CPU temp reached 90C and the GPU temp reached upto 94C which gave me an FPS drop.

If those temps are reasonable for this gaming laptop I just would like to stop that FPS drop because in a laptop with I7-8750H and GTX 1060 with Max-Q design I am able to play only games that I was able to play of a GTX 950M stable.

I hope you can help me reduce this heat and stop the FPS drop.

Thank you again for your reply.

HP Recommended

@NouamaneI the pleasure is all mine, that said, there are many ways to increase FPS and system performance, the best have been listed below:

• Update the BIOS.

For desktop PCs, go to HP Desktop PCs - Updating the BIOS.

For notebook PCs, go to HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

• Update the graphics driver.

Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, enter your PC model, then select the driver for your graphics card.

• Most games allow you to change the graphics settings. Using a lower graphic quality often improves FPS.

• Close any applications or programs that are not being used.

• Turn on Game Mode. Game Mode is a new feature in Windows 10 Creators Update that improves gaming performance by limiting background processes and programs from using system resources while a game is running.

1. Press the Windows key and G to open the Game bar.

2. In the game bar, click Settings.

3. Click the check box next to the game title to enable Game Mode for that game.

Plug notebook PCs into an AC adapter to give the graphics card more power.

• Plug notebook PCs into an AC adapter to give the graphics card more power.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello sir,

I already have everything up to date and game mode enabled, I tried The Witcher 3 in lowest settings with v-sync on and FPS locked on 60 and I was able to play on 30 FPS or sometimes less FPS while the same config can run the game at ultra, and my temps on both CPU ang GPU went up to 95C.

Would you please guide me more on somethings that I can do with this case exactly with my laptop model?

Thank you so much sir.

HP Recommended

@NouamaneI If you've done all that and yet the issue persists, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello sir,

I have sent you a private message.

I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you so much for your help.

HP Recommended

@NouamaneI I saw that, and since the device is out of warranty, here's the only other option I can suggest:

If you have an HP authorized service center near by, you should be able to take it to them and have it checked,

Here is a link to HP Service Centers, by Country/Region: Click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.