Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
B3S07EA#ACB

Hello everyone,
In order to upgrade and replace broken parts I would like to know the following info about this laptop:
1. Were there pavilion g7 laptops with i7 on board? If yes, what are they and did they have same cooling solution as g7s with i5?
2. Is there any compatible FHD display for this model? I assume that g7 was only available with 17' HD+, but still maybe someone installed some newer matrix (or from newer laptops) that worked with g7.
3. Is it possible to install motherboard from g7 with all its components into another laptop base (chassis/case) like dv7 or Eiltebook?
4. Is 55Whr battery compatible with this model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes on this model the processor is removeable and upgradeable to Intel Core i7-3612QM and would use the same heatsink and fan as you have now.

Service Manual 

Only HD+ screens were offered and whether you can use an FHD is a bit of a gamble. As long as it is the same dimension and uses the same plugin it will fit but the cable may not be capable of carrying an FHD signal or the video card might not put out such a signal. 

The motherboard is a unique one-off design and fits only in that laptop series g7-2100. 

Yes the 55wh battery would work. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Yes on this model the processor is removeable and upgradeable to Intel Core i7-3612QM and would use the same heatsink and fan as you have now.

Service Manual 

Only HD+ screens were offered and whether you can use an FHD is a bit of a gamble. As long as it is the same dimension and uses the same plugin it will fit but the cable may not be capable of carrying an FHD signal or the video card might not put out such a signal. 

The motherboard is a unique one-off design and fits only in that laptop series g7-2100. 

Yes the 55wh battery would work. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

I recently found the following:

• g6 case is very similar to g7 (incuding all port slots and screw holes) but it is shorter (till imho g7 motherboard could fit g6 case). That conclusion was made after a brief look at some photos of dissasembled models, no deep search, so I might be wrong as well.

• Sellers of the motherboard for g7-2100 also incude g6 and g4 as compatible.
Please, could you confirm that g7 motherboard only fits g7 case

HP Recommended

These g series models are all essentially the same laptop except screen size and chassis width so may very well all use the same motherboard. So what I am trying to say is you have no option for a motherboard with higher and better specs nor can you put your motherboard into a dv or Envy which is the question you asked me.. Search for the motherboard by HP part number, not by the model of the laptop. 

HP Recommended

Got it. Thanks a lot for your reply!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.