Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I found that my Probook 4540s sometimes cannot boot. I have to use the trick applied to 4530s: remove battery, press power button for 40s, put the adapter. Sometimes the trick works, sometimes it doesn't. 

Is this a bios issue? Any solution for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well did you try reseating the memory? Has the computer worked since you have upgraded the memory? Also are the memory chips the same speed? If your running two different speed chips it could cause this issue.

Thanks

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Whats the issue you are running into? Are you able to access the BIOS? Does Windows try and start or does the computer just not power on at all?

Thanks

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@SeanS wrote:

Whats the issue you are running into? Are you able to access the BIOS? Does Windows try and start or does the computer just not power on at all?

Thanks

Sean

I really don't know. Sometimes when I try to turn on the computer, the display does not turn on, computer power is still running. After a 4-5 seconds the capslock light blinks.

HP Recommended

I bet the memory is loose. Have you recently upgraded the memory in the computer? Either way here is a link with a video on how to remove and reseat the memory. Let me know how this works for you. 

Memory removal

Thanks,

Sean

HP Recommended

@SeanS wrote:

I bet the memory is loose. Have you recently upgraded the memory in the computer? Either way here is a link with a video on how to remove and reseat the memory. Let me know how this works for you. 

Memory removal

Thanks,

Sean

I upgraded the memory when I bought this computer, btw there is a problem: the store I bought use stamp for warranty. I know that HP does not use stamp and I can bring my computer to HP warranty center myself, but are there any other way to confirm that this is memory problem. My new memory is a Patriot, while the built in is Kingston. Is this a problem?

HP Recommended

Well did you try reseating the memory? Has the computer worked since you have upgraded the memory? Also are the memory chips the same speed? If your running two different speed chips it could cause this issue.

Thanks

Sean

HP Recommended

@SeanS wrote:

Thanks

Sean

I haven't tried yet, I am wondering bring the computer to the store or remove the stamp ...

Both are 4GB 1333mhz, built in is kingston, the other is Patriot.

HP Recommended
Hello duydangle

The best way to isolate memory (RAM) is to try one stick at a time, but I would remove the RAM you have added first and see if the laptop is able to boot. During the boot do you receive any beeps?

Also according to the HP Support document "HP ProBook 4540s Notebook PC - Spare Parts" your laptop should be using PC3-12800, 1600Mhz, DDR3). Do you know what size and frequency the Partiot memory runs at?
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

@Travis_C wrote:
Hello duydangle

The best way to isolate memory (RAM) is to try one stick at a time, but I would remove the RAM you have added first and see if the laptop is able to boot. During the boot do you receive any beeps?

Also according to the HP Support document "HP ProBook 4540s Notebook PC - Spare Parts" your laptop should be using PC3-12800, 1600Mhz, DDR3). Do you know what size and frequency the Partiot memory runs at?

Thanks for your reply.

Weeks ago I brought my computer to HP Centre and I got my mainboard and RAM replaced. The default RAM is 1333mhz and I get a 1600 RAM replaced. The computer is working properly now.

HP Recommended
You're welcome duydangle

Thanks for sharing how your problem was resolved. It turned out to be a problem with the Memory as SeanS had suggested.
Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.