Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bluetooth suddenly stopped working on my HP Spectre Notebook and no longer seems to be supported by the device. 

I've been using my hp bluetooth mouse without trouble since purchasing the notebook last year, but suddenly today, it stopped working.

There is no Bluetooth node in device manager.

There is no Bluetooth tile in the action centre.

There is no switch to enable Bluetooth in the Bluetooth system settings.

Using the HP recovery utility I reinstalled all INTEL drivers.

Using Windows Update Manager I confirmed that all Windows updates are up to date.  Updates install automatically.

Using HP Support Assistant I confirmed that all HP drivers are up to date.

I updated the BIOS.

I suspect that an update has broken Bluetooth support on the notebook.

Is there a known solution to this problem?  How do I fix it?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz

Product Number: W0J17PA#ABG

BIOS F.36

Software Installed:

HP Support Assistant1.pngHP Support Assistant2.pngHP Support Assistant3.pngHP Support Assistant4.pngHP Support Assistant5.png

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended

Hi Andyb007,

Did you recently update Windows and notice that Bluetooth had stopped working or did it just randomly occur?

When you mean "There is no Bluetooth node in device manager," do you mean you're completely unable to find it anywhere in device manager? Try this: go to the View tab of device manager and hit "Show hidden devices."

Then literally try expanding everything. Sometimes Bluetooth seems to be hidden in other areas. If you are able to find it, right click > Update Driver > Search Automatically.

You can also try to view the devices by connection and see if it makes searching easier. 

An update may have broken Bluetooth but I do want to kindly direct you to the Notebook Wireless and Networking where you may get better help.

Regards,

kem579

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Hi Kem579 and thank you for your help.  Please see my responses below.

Did you recently update Windows and notice that Bluetooth had stopped working or did it just randomly occur?

Andyb007>> Yes, there were Windows updates after which it stopped working.  I've tried uninstalling them but to no avail.

When you mean "There is no Bluetooth node in device manager," do you mean you're completely unable to find it anywhere in device manager? Try this: go to the View tab of device manager and hit "Show hidden devices."

Andyb007>> I've checked the various views etc and it's just not there.  It should be directly between Batteries and Camera but it's not there.  It's as if Bluetooth has become disabled at a very low driver level and now as far as Windows is concerned, the machine is not Bluetooth capable.

Then literally try expanding everything. Sometimes Bluetooth seems to be hidden in other areas. If you are able to find it, right click > Update Driver > Search Automatically.

You can also try to view the devices by connection and see if it makes searching easier. 

An update may have broken Bluetooth but I do want to kindly direct you to the Notebook Wireless and Networking where you may get better help.

HP Recommended

I am experiencing the exact same problem. I have tried reinstalling Windows - it does not work. Also tried reinstalling the Bluetooth drivers - also does not work. Now in device manager, when I click "show hidden devices", the option for bluetooth does not even appear. Furthermore, the Bluetooth troubleshooter declares that there is no Bluetooth capability on my device, although this is clearly untrue.

HP Recommended
Interesting. Did that also happen to you recently during the last few days?

Hopefully HP release a quick fix. Please post here if you find a solution, I'll do the same.
HP Recommended

The below 2 updates installed yesterday on my HP X360 13-w0xx , broke my Bluetooth and WiFi. Had to run windows restore previous point to fix.

Happened 2x, and 2x i had to restore.

Auto updates now off until is fixed

Offenders :

Intel Corporation - Bluetooth 20.20.0.5

Intel - net 20.20.2.2

HP Recommended

I restored also and it fixed it for a while, but then the upater just installed the update and broke it again.  Subsequent attempts to restore didn't fix it.

I phoned HP support today and they resolved it over a remote desktop session.

From the HP Recovery Manager they reinstalled the "Intel Bluetooth Driver for Windows 10"  version 18.1.1605.3087.   After a reboot the problem was resolved.

The HP Recover Manage should have a shortcut in the Windows menu.

HP Recommended

Hmmm...

Intel should be quickly informed of this issue or many people may find that their Bluetooth is broken.

Well I'm glad you were all able to resolve the issue.

Regards,

kem579

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

I agree that those two updates broke bluetooth.  I have the same updates installed at the time that it broke.

Intel - net - 20.20.2.2

Intel Corporation - Bluetooth - 20.20.0.5

HP Recommended

I had the same problem and system restore wouldn't work for me.  Instead, I downloaded the wireless adapter and bluetooth drivers from the HP page.  Then I uninstalled the network adapter.  I had to reboot and then install the wireless adapter and then reboot and install the bluetooth adapter.

You can exclude certain driver updates from Windows Update - I guess I'll  go and try to remember how to do that now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.