Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 (15-ch011dx)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

Laptop details and issue:

I have an HP Spectre x360 (15-ch011dx).  It’s been running very hot and spooling up the fan to its highest speed with little to no load, in cool environments.  Just recently, the bottom case/housing on the front and both sides has split and is bulging so much so that the touchpad requires a very firm press to work.  The laptop has never experienced any physical damage nor torsion.  More concerned with the housing since the root cause of which is likely contributing to the touchpad issue, I started searching for answers.  

Research findings:

My researched turned up tons of posts like this one: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-x360-Spectre-battery-bulgin... from other users with issues and symptoms just like mine.  This one accuses HP of attempting to minimize this known issue and their associated recall [read: costs].  I hope HP wouldn’t do such a thing given their brand is really catching headway in consumer mobile computing…not to mention basic ethics LOL.  I see many HP laptops, including some in this line, have known issues and recalls issued for this very issue – a bulging battery that causes the housing to split and ancillary component issues.  Following HP’s recommendations, I ran the HP Battery Checker which stated my battery is operating within normal range and not included in the existing recall.  The HP support bot stated that the “HP Safety Council” has determined there is no safety risk with the battery in my laptop.  I assume this is based on its serial number and known production batch issues.

Request for assistance:

I disagree with this statement because, in addition to the existing burn risk, the battery will ultimately leak and/or explode creating imminent danger to users.  Given the breadth of other users posting the same issue and being told their laptops are not covered by the recall, it appears that the investigation into the scope of the recall warrants reevaluation to potentially include these other serial numbers.  Every issue starts out as being isolated until viably determined to be included in a larger problem.  It is my suggestion that this issue is broad enough to show sufficient evidence of a broader problem. 

Please help by:

1. If you are an owner of a laptop with the same / similar issue, please post here helping HP Support understand the scope of the ongoing problem.

1. HP Support – Escalate through appropriate internal channels to inform Support leadership and the HP Safety Council of this ongoing issue, and request further investigation.  Also, advise on the progress of the effort, if/when the serial numbers included are expanded so we know when and how to reevaluate our laptops, and remediation efforts in the meantime. 
    • If we need to pay to have these batteries replaced in the meantime (for out of warranty products), please ensure the solution for the above recall includes fair and equitable reimbursement channels for those of us who needed to replace the batteries before [if] HP recall scope is expanded or a new one instituted.

Thank you all in advance!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Here are a few more with the same issue and same experience of lack of support from HP. HP Spectre x360 Convertible Model 15-ch011dx Battery Bulging... - Page 2 - HP Support Community - 79... 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

This person has gone through 3 batteries with the same issue on one laptop.  2 covered during warranty period by HP and third paid out of pocket.  Come one HP...Battery Bloated (again!) - HP Support Community - 8116705 

Own up to your issue and be accountable.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Another example from @BenRkv : Bloated battery? - HP Support Community - 7971127 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi@DHarp4,

I understand your concern and to help you out, I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send us a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" on my public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my hp laptop and I made a post but no one replied. 

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue on the same model Spectre (15-ch011dx). The bottom case is warped on the front & side and a significant gap is forming, the touchpad has been particular for some time but I realize now it is probably due to the battery issue. I have started a support case, but I do not accept that there is no safety issue. It is noted by HP & the CPSC that there have been reports of personal injury and fire due to battery swelling. This computer is less than 3 years old and sits on a desk 95% of the time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.