Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@MarkusL81

Thanks for replying. This is a workaround step and has known to stop the buzzing noise. This feature can again be enabled while using USB charging. 

Thanks! Smiley Happy

HP Recommended
MKazi the steps you have outlined i have had since day one on all 4 laptops because of thr battery drain issue.

Disabling the charge feature does absolutely nothing.

Secondly on a 1000$ plus notebook we shouldn't have to disable things to get other things to work.

I have two more laptops coming which i guarantee will have the same issue.

HP needs to fix this. Money doesn't grow on trees.
HP Recommended

@op1001

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum

HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same issue (intermittent noise while charging) on a recently purchased 2016 hp spectre x360.  I tried the workaround (turning off usb charging in the bios).  I can confirm that this did NOT work for me (the noise was occuring when I went to unplug the charger this morning).  

HP Recommended

SO not a lot is happening in this thread. I was promised to be contacted by a local representative but that hasn't happened. Also, the DOA unit had the same issues and now I think that the DOA period for my second unit has expired (need to check that). I love everything with the laptop except this annoying noise and don't really know what to do about all this.

Spending €1200 on a laptop that needs background noise or music playing in order to not mnake a disturbing noise is not OK.

The rest of you with the same problem, how are you dealing with this? Just accepting this or sending it back?

HP >> What is your plan around this? The previous model also had the same issues so I guess you're not planning a software update or hardware update that can solve this?

HP Recommended

OMG - I am so relieved to find other people having exactly the same fault!  I am on my 2nd HP Spectre x360 12-w011tu notebook and both are now going back.

The issue only occurs when charging and doesn't matter whether the notebook is powered on or off (even fully off) - it still makes a high pitched squeel like leaky capacitors.

The squeal is about 8.5-10kHz and is literally torture.  I work in an ultra-quiet environment with no outside noise so hearing this thing has been doing my head in. I thought I was getting tinitus.

Worse still - HP support staff have been playing dumb and refusing to believe there is an issue. I had to beg and plead to get them to send a replacement notebook (thankfully my complaint was within the first week of receipt).  This was 1st week of December (before this post) and I still have both faulty notebooks here (getting HP to take either of them back is proving problematic and I only paid for one).

The notebook is easily the most beautiful, well designed piece of technology I have seen and I love it but the noise it makes is simply impossible.  Disabling the USB charging did not fix the problem either by the way.

In the mean time, a competitor product was release that also had 2-in-1 screen for similar price but twice the storage and twice the resolution for same screen size (and smaller footprint).  Lower quality sound but sturdier screen.

I took it as a sign that both HPs should go back.  On both notebooks (2nd before I had loaded any software), I also experienced a bunch of random pixelation and hashy display like a faulty connection (the kind of irregularities that movies would depict when your notebook is being hacked).  Such beauty with such minor but important faults in workmanship and component quality!

HP Recommended

HP is taking both of mine back for refund if that helps?

HP Recommended

From what I have learned thus far

HP is the kind of company that doesn't stand behind their products.

their employees give canned responses.

they don't believe the end user

and blame dumb.

HP Recommended

So yesterday I found out that my second DOA replacement unit that I thought I would get 1,5 week ago is out of stock and won't be in stock for another 4-6 weeks. Feels useless waiting for my third Spectre when I read about everyone else having these issues. Looks like a lot of Kaby Lake laptops has this problem.

Feels like no one is taking this for real and is willing to comment on this and if there is a fix comming, which I assume is evidence that no fix actually is comming because this can't be solved via a software update.

I will now ask for a refund and chose a different laptop without Kaby Lake and just hope that this laptop wonät make the same irritating noise.

The Spectre is by far the best looking laptop and I would have been willing to accept a lot of different flaws just because the hardware is so nice, but when it comes to noise that is deal breaker.

Thank you all for reporting your issues in this thread, sorry to hear you have the same problem but at the same time I now know that I'm not the only one finding this noise irritating and hard to deal with.

HP Recommended

the acer s3 kaby lake i got doesn't have this issue.

the hp when off and charging makes this noise. even when on and reaches 100%.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.