Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15inch Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot use the touchpad whilst I have a key pressed on the keyboard. This is very frustrating when doing design work.

I have looked through the settings and can't find an option that will enable the touchpad whilst using the keyboard.

Brand new laptop bought direct from HP website

HP OMEN 15-dc1044na

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@sash94 Welcome to HP Community!

Does it not work while using a specific application or regardless?

If its happening on any application you are using, I have a few steps that should help resolve this issue:

• Go to your device manager (Right click Computer, click manage, select device manager)
  • Right-click the device name in the list that corresponds to your keyboard
  • Click update software driver, click browse computer for drivers
  • Click search from a list of existing drivers
  • Un-check show compatible hardware
  • Select Microsoft on the left side
  • Select Microsoft Basic Keyboard/Mouse. 
  • Click next and install the driver. 
  • And if the keyboard and mouse doesn't work together, reinstall the drivers from the manufacturer website

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi ,

Thanks for replying. It happens regardless, on any application. I've looked at the suggestion you mentioned. Instead of the 'Microsoft Basic Mouse' option I have 'Microsoft Basic Keyboard (106/109)'. Is this the same? I don't want to install anything different to what you've suggested so I haven't done anything so far.

Please let me know, thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

@sash94 Yes, please go ahead and select keyboard and follow the rest of the steps, let me know how it pans out.

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi 

It did not go well... after installing and restarting, the keyboard and mouse stopped working all together. Luckily I had a wacom graphics tablet so I could use that as a 'mouse' and log on. 

I have gone back to the original drivers. I also went to the manufacturer's website to install the drivers but it said it was not compatible with my OS.

Please let me know what else I can do.

HP Recommended

@sash94 Alright, we loose some, we win some! that said, here's a few more steps we can try and this time we should win:

Follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to the Control Panel (large icon view) then > click Mouse > Device Settings tab > Settings.
  • Under the Synaptics Settings, go to Pointing > Sensitivity > Palmcheck and set the palm sensitivity to the minimum and test the function.
  • Then, go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTP\Defaults by tapping on Windows+R & typing "regedit".

Change the value of the first 3 string entries of PalmKms to 0.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi 

Thanks for the advice, it almost worked! I had my hopes out but it seems the problem hasn't disappeared.

I can now move the with the mousepad whilst having a key pressed on the keyboard. However, I can't seem to click anything - so I see the cursor move around on screen but I can't action anything. So it is still a problem for me when I'm doing design work.

Please let me know what else I can do.

HP Recommended

@sash94 If that didn't work either, we may need to create a new user account and check if that works, if that doesn't either,

please backup all important data into an external storage device and them follow the steps from this link to reset windows: click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey Riddle_Decipher,

I tried adding a new user, it didn't help.

I also tried resetting windows from the link you provided - unfortunately that didn't help either. I am back to square one, with the mouse cursor not moving at all when I have a button pressed on the keyboard.

Please let me know what else I can do to resolve the issue.

HP Recommended

@sash94 The only other option is to reinstall windows using the HP recovery media, also, If you don't have an HP Recovery media and have attempted reset using the windows troubleshooter or a retail copy of windows, you'll need to order a recovery media: Click here for steps.

Or you may also attempt to download the same using the steps on this link: click here

For details on how to perform a successful reset: click here

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.