Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am totally frustrated with the hp's reponse with the battery drain issue with the hp spectre x360 laptops. I went through all the webisites, hp forums and even so called Sphinx fix but none of these solved the battery drain issue. Hp already acknowledged the battery problems for some of thier laptops and recalled them but not the spectre 360. 

I am calling for support from other hp spectre x360 owners to raise our voice to fix this issue soon or issue a recall. 

If any hp agent want to repond to this with same old fixs mentioned in other forms(like check battery, update drivers, etc), please refer me to atleast one link/thread that resolved the drain issue with your suggestions in spectre x360. 
Show me atleast one solved case.

Capture.PNG

By the way, I have hp spectre x360 late 2016 13 inch model, kaby lake processor, 8GB, 256SSD
HP Spectre 13-w000 x360 Convertible PC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

SPHINX fix resolved the issue.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi! @Siv-Spectre360, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand the battery drains when your laptop is completely turned off.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned the battery drains when your laptop is completely turned off.

I have checked the records there is a service advisory related to the issue you have mentioned.

Try updating BIOS on your PC and check if it helps. Also.try updating the drivers on your PC using HP support assistant and check if it helps.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get reinstalled automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Look for "Plugged In Charging" message on the Battery icon

After performing all the steps if you are facing the same issue still, please perform three more steps:
1. Run a Battery Check in HP Support Assistant[Install the Software if it's not available]
Note: Replace the Battery If Health Check Status shows Replace
2. Update the latest BIOS for your Notebook from HP Support Site
3. Please check your Notebook with a known good Power Adapter & Battery from a different Notebook 
Note: If a known good battery is also not charging we need to replace the system board.

Also, refer this document to understand more about calibrating batteries.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

SPHINX fix resolved the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi! @Siv-Spectre360, It's great to hear from you again.

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Take care,

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Exactly the same issue here - x360 spectre - battery drains while SHUT DOWN

Spent hours researching this issue. there is no resolution from HP or anywhere else.

if this 'sphinx' thing supposedly works - where is it?????

This is the 2nd machine i've had, first one did it.... JBHIFI retailer replaced with a newer model (with the pen)

It does it too! 

HP support response is unacceptable.

Never buy HP ever!!

HP Recommended

I've tried the Sphinx fix, any many many others, it doesn't work.

HP Recommended

@gordi555

The Sphinx fix worked for me but I only checked for max 10-15 hours shutdown period and in that it only drained about 1-2% once in a while. Try repeating the process I mentioned and see if it works.

FYI: To know if you successfully installed the fix, make sure you see this in version check 

TI PD 0x7e Version  0x0,0x31,0x33,0x58 -0x0,0x0,0x14,0x0 
TI PD 0x70 Version  0x0,0x31,0x33,0x58 -0x0,0x0,0x14,0x0 

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the info. Yes I can confirm my output is exactly the same.

I've just managed to get in contact with HP Support UK and they are working with me to try and get to the bottom of the issue. I've just updated to Bios F.36 from F.34 so I'll test for 24 hours and see if that helps.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Actually, my bad. The sphnix fix also doesn't work. It just masks the issue. Today I opened my laptop after 36 hours and the initial battery percentage is 100% but after 5 mins use it suddenly dropped to 90%, I think with the sphnix fix they are trying to mask the issue.

If possible ask them to replace your laptop with newer model.

HP Recommended

iI could not agree more.  For a $2,000+ machine it is almost useless as a LAPTOP because of the battery life and drain issues. How can I travel with a laptop that barely works unplugged?

I have not had a laptop this bad (and it is only the battery issue) for many, many years.

HP needs to issue a recall on this thing.

(My 5 year old Samsung Notebook ATIV9 is a far superior machine.)

HP should be embarassed at this product AND their utter lack of support on the issue.

Tom O'Brien

tom@tomob.net

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.