Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Is there anything to do to reduce some noise from the fan.

I already check the fan gate.

I only use laptop for using ms office and watching video clip.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would recommend you to update the latest BIOS for your notebook from the support and driver download page on hp.com, and also go through the following document which will help you reduce the FAN noise.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01007591

Hope this helps!

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I would recommend you to update the latest BIOS for your notebook from the support and driver download page on hp.com, and also go through the following document which will help you reduce the FAN noise.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01007591

Hope this helps!

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended
Oh surprise!!!!
Thank you for your supporting and recomendation.
I just follow your direction. When I ]m updating BIOS, laptop fan is so loud. But when it is completed, A noisy sound, like mosquito one, is gone....... O M G ,,,,,,,,,, thank you, thank you. 🙂
HP Recommended
No, updating the bios and turning "fan always on" did not fix the fan noise problem! The problem is that the default fan speed is still too high, the default speed is producing too much air flow and causing annonying noise that cannot be ignored. I believe the bios setting that controls the default fan speed should be reduced. A new BIOS update is desperately needed!
HP Recommended

Worked for me! Might be an idea to take advantage of some of the other updates if the problem persists

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5215...

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.Bought the laptop 2 days ago.  Bios is updated. It was set to fan always on so I disabled hoping that would quiet it. No luck. I upgraded to windows 8, and am unable to install coolsense. The fan is really winningly loud. I can't ignore it, its giving me a headache!

Should I return it?

HP Recommended

To fix the fan issue, the first thing to do is to check you have the latest bios ( I believe it's in its 6th revision at present). The best way to do this is to go to the HP support site and download the latest bios and install it. It’s a very simple self-executing file. Once the bios is updated, you restart the Folio 13 and hit escape as soon as you see the screen lights up, by doing this you can go into Bios Mode and once there you should navigate using the arrows on your keyboard to the section where you can select ‘Disable’ for ‘Fan runs all the time’ (it’s either F5 or F6 to toggle between Enable and Disable). After doing this you will be blown away by how quiet the ultrabook becomes. I have a model with the lower heat i3 processor that runs super cool, but even with the i5 model you’ll be shocked at how quiet it is when using basic applications like Word, or just blogging/posting. In the time I have written this, the fan has been off the entire time, and even when watching video it stays quiet. Watching video does cause the fan to come on a little, but no more than about 80% of the speed when the fan is permanently switched on in the bios.

Still writing, and the fan is still silent,

Steph 🙂

HP Recommended

I have a same problem. I bought this laptop (model 1035 nr)a few years back and for some reason I upgraded my stupid bios and this problem started kick in. I think it has somehting to do with sleep and hiberation mode. When I shut down and start. It remains dead silent until my do something, but using just the Word processor. This does not cause any problems.   

HP Recommended

I tried everything that was previously suggested:  update bios, driver, Coolsense, power saving mode.

Nothing will abate the raging noise level spill out by this laptop.  I always suspected that HP may have set the fan speed on this and other similarly configured ultrabook on overdrive.   The noise level of this laptop sometimes competes with with the LCD project in the conference room.

But finally, one person suggested a different approach which worked on another model of HP ultrabook:  put a pierce of

tape over part of the intake vent grill.   This works micraculously with noise level greatly diminished as the flow of air with restricted.  

Of course, you realize that this not a viable option if the laptop was constantly running hot, and the air flow restriction may degrade or cause harm due to heat.   HP has not come through with a clean solution in the past.    I would not choose this option if any of the previously suggest options worked.    In any case, I felt comfortable to use the power saving mode, with low LCD brightness, in exchange of a little more quiet and peace around this laptop.

My two cents.

HP Recommended

I owned folio 13 1035. I had a fan problem and was about to sell the laptop. Thinking windows becoming more demanding and old parts are stressing out even at idle status. I re-apply the thermal paste with artic silver and temp. went down like 10 celius and it still makes ridulous noise. It is time to trash the laptop. I guess i will avoid buying things with fans in it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.