Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Beats Special Edition Notebook - 15-p390nr (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HI! I'm looking to upgrade my  HP Beats Special Edition Notebook - 15-p390nr from an HDD to an SSD. I already know I can use the 2.5 SATA form factor SSD. Now I would like to know, since my CPU-Z app says that I also have a PCI-Express 3.0 (8GT/ s), if there is a way that I can plug in an nvme SSD  (or preferably a PCIe SSD) into it and use it as the boot drive, cuz it's way faster then the 2.5 form factor. And if it's possible, what compromise would I be making? Cuz it seems that's it's already in use. I don't know what device is using it.

Thanks for your support!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't know if you can use a M.2 drive through the wi-fi card's port, however, unless you use a NVMe drive, which I do not think you can do that way (they are keyed differently), you will see little to no performance bump over a 2.5" SATA SSD.  Non-NVMe M.2 drives are SATA drives, just smaller in form factor and interface through the PCIE.  I would simply opt for a larger capacity 2.5" SATA SSD.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

The m.2 slot on your motherboard only supports SATA 3. All computers have a PCIe bus, It is the common motherboard interface for personal computers' graphics cardshard disk drive host adaptersSSDsWi-Fi and Ethernet hardware connections. According to your Service Manual - http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04511833.pdf  it shows the following-

Support M.2 SATA-3 (NGFF)
M.2 SATA configurations(TLC)
256 GB M2 SATA 

Later chipsets used the m.2 interface to use the PCIe bus for faster transfers. Yes, a PCIe ssd is faster than a SATA 3 version, about the same speed increase as SATA 3 ssd over a mechanical hard drive.

Volunteering here is my therapy
17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
HP Recommended

Ok. I've looked at the service manual you sent which is very informative. My PC is a Notebook Pavilion 15. It's motherboard doesn't have M.2 slots according to the manual (I'm using AMD, not the Intel model).  But since I don't use ethernet at all on my laptop, can I remove the ethernet hardware and replace it with a PCIe SSD? 

NB: This is my specific model HP Beats Special Edition Notebook - 15-P390nr

HP Recommended

I would like to take a minute again to thank you for your great support.  I did some more research in the service manual and elsewhere, and it seems you are absolutely correct. But I somehow don't get the impression that my question was properly answered. 

• I wanted to know if there's something I could remove, like the ethernet card or something in order to free a pcie and use it to plug a pcie ssd.
HP Recommended

No that is not how laptops work. The motherboard is a single unit. There are no removeable devices that you could pull off and plug in something different. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much! But what about those people saying that they did it with the Wi-Fi card, freeing the Mini pcie x1 slot and swapping in a pcie nvme ssd

HP Recommended

Not possible sorry. The slot will not take a PCIe/NVME M.2 SSD. Who said they did that?

HP Recommended

I remember seeing it somewhere on the web. I'll post the link if I come across it again later. The person had to use an adapter to convert the mpcie slot. I did a lot of researches on that, and I still can't make my mind on a proper solution. 

Here's what I found:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/772848-replace-wifi-card-with-ssd/

https://linustechtips.com/topic/772848-replace-wifi-card-with-ssd/?do=findComment&comment=12862253

HP Recommended

I don't know if you can use a M.2 drive through the wi-fi card's port, however, unless you use a NVMe drive, which I do not think you can do that way (they are keyed differently), you will see little to no performance bump over a 2.5" SATA SSD.  Non-NVMe M.2 drives are SATA drives, just smaller in form factor and interface through the PCIE.  I would simply opt for a larger capacity 2.5" SATA SSD.

HP Recommended

Do you have $500 plus tax ?

Buy a new laptop

On sale at Walmart

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.