Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pro Book 645 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Now I´m trying to recover the information from that hard drive.
For that, I´m installing the mSata hard drive in the SATA slot of a HP ProBook laptop.
The problem is that the HP Pro Book 645 G2 is not automatically showing the new hard drive as a second hard drive.
The OS in that laptop is Windows 10 64b.
I´ve been looking and searching in the BIOS of the HP Pro Book laptop. But I can not find how to activate the SATA slot in the HP Pro Book.
In this case my assumption that is that the reason why the laptop is not showing the new hard drive installed.
Is it even possible? There are no settings in the Bios regarding activating that slot, if not automatically activated.

I would really appreciate some help from the gurus around. I cannot be the first trying to install an extra hard drive in an HP Pro Book 645 G2 SATA slot.
I accept suggestions.

Thanks a lot for the help.
Best regards from Sweden

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Robinboy 

I'm having some difficulty understanding how you have things connected. Perhaps it's a terminology problem because, as far as I know, there is no such thing as an mSATA "Hard Drive".  All mSATA drives are SSDs.

You said you are connecting the m.2 SSD to a SATA slot -- but it does not have the connector to do that; instead, it requires an m.2 slot -- which is different.  So, are you connecting the mSATA SSD to an adapter and then connecting that adapter to the SATA jack on the motherboard? Or are we just confusing different terms?

Also, in motherboards with m.2 SATA slots, since the intention of those slots is to boot from the SSD connected to them, they are configured to be Device Zero in the default drive list, not Device One.  So, if you have an m.2 SSD connected and another standard SATA drive, be it SSD or HDD, this other drive will be seen after the m.2 SATA drive in the boot order.

And finally, all the slots on the motherboard are activated automatically; so there is nothing you have to do to activate a SATA slot.

So, if you're not seeing in the BIOS/UEFI, the drive connected to the SATA slot, that is a BIOS/UEFI issue that you probably can not fix.

Also, are you sure the m.2 SSD is an m.2 SATA, not an m.2 NMVe? Asking because the two different drives look almost identical and it's easy to confuse one with the other.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi and thanks for your time. 

Yes, it is exactly as you say. An  mSATA hard drive on a SATA adapter inserted on the Sata slot of an HP ProBook 645 G2.

I want the hard drive to appear as a second hard drive. Not primary. Not with the system. So I can extract all the files I need. 

mostly family pictures.

If you say the SATA slot should be activated by default to automatically recognize the new hard drive, a

nd show it as a storage letter in windows 10. 

Then why is not working? Why nothing happens. No errors either. The laptop is starting fine. 

Can I post a picture here? 

I found there are external "adapters" within a cabinet to connect directly to USB 2/3. 

Maybe that is an alternative. But it should work this way too. 

regards

Robin

HP Recommended

@Robinboy 

I don't know why Windows is not seeing the SSD -- but my guess is the adapter is the issue.

I tried a similar thing to get my desktop to boot from an NMVe drive using that, with an adapter, to connect to a SATA port on the motherboard -- but it did not work.

If you get an external adapter to connect a USB port to a SATA drive -- and connect that to your existing adapter, that might work.  But the only way to find out is to try it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks but no. Why should I use a SATA to USB and then the other adapter?

It is a mSata hard drive I want to read.

I´ll buy the

Hopefully works. 

Still strange the HP laptop doesn't show the new hard drive. I don't think it is the adapter. It is only an adapter. Not much tech on it to get wrong.

Thanks anyway.

Regards

Robin

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.