Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre 360x 13-t ae-0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since updating to Windows 10 1803 in April, I have been experiencing frequent '100% Disk Usage' issues leading to BSOD crashes. Over the past 10 days or so, I applied tons of checks and potential solutions to the problem - including resetting and reinstalling Windows clean. All to no avail.

A few days back, Microsoft acknowled there was an "[...] incompatibility that may cause performance and stability issues."

Link to a page on Microsoft forum website

Dear HP: what is the plan and timeline to get my laptop up and running again? 

My Spectre 360x's SSD is an Intel 600p 360GB model - the one affected.

Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134
Hardware: HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx, HP, 83B9
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 8424202240 bytes total

The after-BSOD 'dump' files seem to confirm SSD is the culprit:

On Thu 10/05/2018 23:00:31 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051018-8234-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: stornvme.sys (0xFFFFF80C4FCE1917)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80C4FCE1917, 0x0, 0x3)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\stornvme.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Microsoft NVM Express Storport Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

On Thu 10/05/2018 23:00:31 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x1FD56)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80C4FCE1917, 0x0, 0x3)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@PiotrJJ

Yes there is System Recovery which will restore back to factory setup. I just wasn't sure if you wanted to go that route. Can't count the posters who have refused that advice and demanded another fix so I am usually hesitant to suggest it. :generic: Sometimes WU breaks it too but it is worth a try.

HP has a step by step guide to do a recovery. At the point where you are asked "does Windows start corectly and can you login" just answer "no" and it will direct you through correct steps:

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&as=true&SFS=sdoc&section=ccweb

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

@PiotrJJ

I am using a Spectre X360 15 Bl1xx as my test machine this year and it also has 360gb  Intel 600p SSD. I experienced the same things as you- frequent crashes and forced restarts after the April 2018 Update to 1803. I used  "rollback to previous version" option and used "StopUpdates10" to block it from reinstalling. HP can not do anything about this-it is a Microsoft driver causing the crash as shown in your report . We will have to wait until they issue a fix as stated on the MS forum>>>

Microsoft is currently working on a resolution that will allow the April 2018 Update on these devices in the near future.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Cheryl,

For confirming the root cause of the issue. Looks like I may have to roll back Windows too - sigh...

As a side note, there is at one thing HP can do: act in the best interest of its customers (i.e. HP laptop owners/users) and put continuous pressure on Microsoft (and, on Intel) to fast-track a working solution to the problem.

@PiotrJJ

HP does work with Microsoft on these issues. That is one reason they put loaners in our hands to test and make reports. I have reported that the Spectre I am using started crashing soon after doing the April 2018 Update.:smileyhappy:

Hopefully MS will have a fix in place soon.

HP Recommended

Good to hear that 🙂

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have an option to roll back my Windows... I must have done something during one of Windows reset sessions, and 'Go to previous version' option is no longer available in Settings 😞

2018-05-11 (1).png

Do I have any alternatives, Cheryl?

@PiotrJJ

That is unfortunate. Perhaps you ran Disk Cleanup and deleted the Windows.old folder. I am not sure if you have any options now other than a fresh install which may not be a good idea if you have been using it awhile and have files,photos,etc that would need to be backed up. Did 'Reset this PC" not work? I will let you know if I find anything. In the meantime we will hope that MS is working hard on getting a fix ready.

HP Recommended

I don't recall running Disk Cleanup, though I did run both System File Checker (sfc /scannow) and DIMS RestoreHealth from elevated CMD prompt.

Looks like I'm going to have to hang on in there...

Really sorry to hear you can't rollback. That April Update  took the joy out of setting up this new Spectre. It updated the next day and was a nightmare from there. No fun at all dealing with crashes and losing what you are doing. I dealt with it a week and rolled back last night. Smooth as silk again now.:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

Cheryl -- isn't there a way to reset Spectre to factory settings using Recovery partition D:?

If the originally it came with Windows 10 1709 installed, the Recovery thingy should install that older version - shouldn't it? 

@PiotrJJ

Yes there is System Recovery which will restore back to factory setup. I just wasn't sure if you wanted to go that route. Can't count the posters who have refused that advice and demanded another fix so I am usually hesitant to suggest it. :generic: Sometimes WU breaks it too but it is worth a try.

HP has a step by step guide to do a recovery. At the point where you are asked "does Windows start corectly and can you login" just answer "no" and it will direct you through correct steps:

http://hp.dezide.com/ts/start.jsp?guide=HPSystemRecovery.net&as=true&SFS=sdoc&section=ccweb

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.