Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 13-w000 x360 Convertible PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The bottom panel on my HP Spectre has come loose. The notebook has generally only been moved inside the leather sleeve it came with, and has not been handled roughly at any point. Even so one of the screws holding the bottom panel has fallen out. The other screws are still tight, but the missing screw has left a small gap at the back of the laptop, and I can't push it completely closed with my fingers.

I suspect there's some sort of locking mechanism on the back of the bottom panel that's slipped out of its socket, preventing me from closing it without replacing the entire bottom panel, but I'm afraid of touching it any more for fear of voiding the warranty, since the device is only 6 months old.

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi @TobySeiffert,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you need assistance with your HP Spectre Notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Did you check for any damage on the PC?

Was the unit dropped by any chance?

In this scenario, I would suggest this would need one on one interaction with the phone support. So that they can go ahead and setup a service for your computer. If the issue occurred after an accident (such as dropping it on the floor, etc.) there could be a additional charges in such cases to get the computer repaired via HP service centers. 

If the issue occurred after an accident (such as dropping it on the floor, etc.) there could be a additional charges in such cases to get the computer repaired via HP service centers. 

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, and thanks so much for your reply!

I haven't had any accidents involving the laptop, and it has never been dropped or even handled roughly. It hasn't even been moved around that much, and when it has been moved, it has always been inside the protective leather sleeve that came with the device.

There isn't any visible damage on the unit besides what I described. The screw is missing on the far back left (from the screen) of the lower panel. This has resulted in a visible gap where the bottom panel meets the rest of the device. I can't say exactly when the screw disappeared, but I first noticed it a couple of weeks ago.

There is is no noticeable effect on the functionality on the computer. It still works like a charm, it's just that the presence of the aforementioned gap at the bottom has me worried, and it doesn't look very nice.

Regards,

Toby

HP Recommended

Hi @TobySeiffert,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh , but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Barachiel & I'm at your service.

If that's the case, I'd request you to contact HP's phone support team for further assistance.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/ Enter Product number or select to auto detect.

Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options". Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Best regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm having a similar or the same issue as you @Toby. I have a hp spectre x360 2017 model.

My notebook has never been dropped and handled carefully.  I always put it away in the leather sleeve it came with when I'm done using it and then into a laptop bag. 

I first noticed one corner of the bottom panel coming loose and a small gap it created. I wondered if the screw had come loose. 

With an appropiate sized screw driver I tested if the screw was loose and discovered it was not. Upon closer inspection I discovered that the screw was no longer holding the bottom cover because the plastic/composite portion of the cover the screw was holding had becomed detached from the rest of the cover.  

So imagine a small ring of plasict/composite material still being held by the screw head  yet separated and disconnected from rest of the bottom cover piece.  Now the hole in the cover is larger than the screw head so there it's not physically possible to hold the cover snugly in place with an appropiate fit.

The notebook still functioned fine but I was worried to get this fixed as I would have to ship the notebook away and be without it. Still it was disappointing to find out this cover was made of plastic/composite and not metal like the rest of the notebook body. I understand why hp might make the bottom out of a plastic/composite material and it would not have minded so much had this defect not cropped up.

A little while later I noticed the same thing in the other corner of the bottom cover by the other bottom screw.  That the cover had pulled away from the screw.  The portion of the cover that the screw was hodling was no longer connected or broke away from the rest of the cover and the hole in the cover in now larger than the screw head.   

The two bottom screws I'm speaking of are the only two visible screws on the bottowm of the unit and are toward the end of the notebook that would be underneath the track pad but towards the corners.

My concern is having this sent in for repair and them putting another defective bottom panel and the corners coming loose again.   

I tried a support chat session but that person was unable to confirm if the part has been updated.  I see this as a less than desirable/deffective design and it would urk me quite a bit to send the notebook in and be without it and then have the same issue happen again.   

If anyone else (including HP personel) can confirm that they have improved the design of this part to where this will not happen again with normal use I would very much appreciate it.  Then I could plan to be without the notebook and it would be worth to send in for repair.

It's unfortunate this has happened. I'm sure the plastic/composite material saved some cost, but I have one friend who specifically decided not to get this notebook based on my loose cover/corners experience. 

I'm also having some regretful feelings about this experience. :Crying: loose bottom cover and screws 4.png

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with a spectre 15. I managed to get the bottom in place bycarefully  removing the screws and reinstalling the bottom. However, the bottom is slowly coming down again. I wonder if this is a construction failure. My spectre did NOT experience any rough handling: I bought it and only used it inside my home, not moving it around.

HP Recommended

Hi @Jokro

Welcome to HP Forums!

I understand you have some issues with your notebook and the bottom panel is coming off.

For the next course of action, I am sending you a private message.

I am sending you a private message with the information required. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Cheers

MathewT
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi,

I was hoping you could also help me and direct me to appropriate repair plans. I have the HP Spectre x360, it's only a few months old and I have handled it very well. It has never been dropped, always handled with care, often used in the one location and rarely moved. It if is transported, I keep it in a HP protective case. The bottom panel of the laptop is coming loose - exactly as described in this forum, and after returning to Harvey Norman, we were able to identify that regardless of how much we tightened the screws, the bottom panel remained just as loose. How do I go about repairing this? Is it going to cause further laptop problems in the future?

HP Recommended

Hi, what ended up happening with yours? I am in the exact same position as you, I have the latest one and it is quite new, and I cannot go without my laptop for the next few weeks at least. 

HP Recommended

@LouiseS1,

you triggered me to take contact with the local HP service. They first told the spectre would be collected, repaired and sent back in 5 days. After some pressure and talking in the background they told me they can do the repair at my home. (This is connected to this type of expensive computer)  In 5 days I will hear when they have the spare parts, I assume a new bottom, and when they will come to do the repair. This may be also a solution which fits your situation...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.