Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-au038ca (Touch)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My hp pavilion 15 au038ca has 12gb ddr4 ram and 2TB HDD storage. The user manual states that it supports M.2 SATA Storage. I just want to verify if this is true because the manual is for general Hp pavilion notebooks. I want to install M.2 SATA-3 SSD for faster operations of the system and make it as my local disk C:   All this without removing my  HDD.  Is it possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No it doesn't mean like that. You can for higher.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended
Hi,

Manual: Page 34
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05228250

FRU remove/replace: https://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=10862158&MEID=8BC6A844-F67A-49EE-B31C-F599C8D7DFED

There is dual drive support. You can put HDD and M.2 SSD. Clone HDD to M.2 SSD first. Remove HDD. Plug in M.2 SSD, make it as boot drive. Format HDD, then put in its bay for storage.

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can I install any M.2 SSD? If so, which do you recommend? Thank you sir 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

In the manual it says 128gb and 256gb ssd only, does that mean I cannot get the above product which you recommended because it's 500gb ssd?

HP Recommended

No it doesn't mean like that. You can for higher.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome Fahim!

HP Recommended
Hi Visruth,
I opened my laptop yesterday and even though the manual says there it supportd m.2 sata storage, I could not find any ssd connector board at all? Should I be worried about this?
HP Recommended

Did you see the video linked above in my first post? Is it not correlating?

You may need to buy solid state drive connector board.

Solid-state drive board 856210-001

See if any connection port is there to insert this board on the main board. Correlate with video of FRU remove/replace

See Page 50 in manual - label no. 10 - that is connection for connector board From what I can understand.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.