Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Probook 6550b

I am trying to upgrade my laptop's memory from 4 to 8 GB but nothing seems to work. 

I read EVERYWHERE that the memory should be 2 identical SO-DIMM modules with the same size and the same voltage, speed and timing but the memory that was originally installed is 1x 1600 mHz and 1 x 1333 mHz ... with different timing and from different manufacturers.

I tried every possible configuration but when running Memtest the system crashes every time when it reaches above 4096 M ... so 4GB ... which leads me to believe that is the maximum amount of memory which is supported although the manual says it should be 8GB.

I've ugraded the BIOS which doesn't help and the advice I found that it should be 'low density' doesn't hold since the original modules are normal density too. 

Does anyone have an answer ? This is getting reaaaaally annoying 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Of the two you listed, this one is the one I would get if I had no other choice.

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/420129/g-punt-skill-f3-1333c9d-8gsa.html

The SL memory is 1.35V = won't work.

I wish I knew what the difference was between the SA designator (what is sold in the Netherlands) and the SQ designator (for the memory sold in the USA).

Other than those two things, the memory specs are the same.

Maybe before you purchase, ask them at the contact us link...

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-1333c9d-8gsa

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi:

That notebook should run 2 x 4 GB of PC3-10600 memory.

I have found that HP notebooks specifically with that chipset are extremely hard to get the right memory for.

You need to make sure you do not exceed 1333 MHz (which you have), and it needs to be PC-10600, not 10666, etc., and the memory modules have to have 8 of the little black memory chips on each side of the circuit board, not 4.

This is the memory I have used for those types of PC's...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231342

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply ... but 'should have' really does not work here. 

The original memory installed is 1 x 1333 mHz (10600) and 1 x 1600 mHz (12800) and both of them have 4 chips on either side... not 8. 

I tried 2 x 1333 mHz memory modules already and it does not work.

here's a printout of the original memory config... the one which works : 

Handle 0x0004, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x0003
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Total Width: 64 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 2048 MB
Form Factor: SODIMM
Set: None
Locator: Top
Bank Locator: BANK 0
Type: DDR3
Type Detail: Synchronous
Speed: 1600 MHz
Manufacturer: Hynix
Serial Number: 204B7F55
Asset Tag: Unknown
Part Number: HMT325S6EFR8C-PB

Handle 0x0006, DMI type 17, 27 bytes
Memory Device
Array Handle: 0x0003
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Total Width: 64 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 2048 MB
Form Factor: SODIMM
Set: None
Locator: Bottom
Bank Locator: BANK 2
Type: DDR3
Type Detail: Synchronous
Speed: 1333 MHz
Manufacturer: Micron
Serial Number: FB3C7A86
Asset Tag: Unknown
Part Number: 8JSF25664HZ-1G4D1

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

All I can tell you is what has worked for me, and many other forum members with notebooks with the Intel series 5 chipsets.

What you have described goes completely against the grain of what has worked for us.

HP Recommended

I already found out it goes against everything that should work ... thats why it so annoys me 😉

I've been at my local computer store 4 times now in the last week and still it does not work.

I've checked Crucials Memory advisor which gives me YET another solution : 

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/probook-6550b#memoryResults

There it says it should be 1.35V DDR3 PC3-12800 instead of 1.5V DDR3 PC3-10600 ?!!?

HP Recommended

I completely understand your frustration.

I have helped no less than a dozen forum members around the world who have probably put more money into memory that doesn't work (though the specs say it should) and their Series 5 chipset notebooks will not accept the memory.

BIOS reports 8 GB but the notebook will either not boot into windows or it will crash repeatedly.

1.35V memory definitely will not work.

You can see this thread and the other links I posted.  There are others if you care to search some more.

You can also do a search of 6550b memory and find no less than 3 pages of issues.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware-Upgrades-Replacements/How-to-add-4G-ram-additiion-to-a-Probook...

I am 99% sure the G.Skill memory I linked you to will work.

HP Recommended

I will try to get my hands on that specific type of memory ....

but still I really find it odd that it matters if the memory modules have 4 or 8 chips on each side ... since the ones that are originally in it have only 4 ...which ... according to you should not work !

This is the memory I tried last : 

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/?partid=kvr13s9s8/4

Which is also ... PC3 10600 Non-ECC , cas9 and unbuffered  .... but DOES NOT WORK !!! 

HP Recommended

4 chips on each side = doesn't work.

PC-12800 = doesn't work.

1.35V = doesn't work.

Somehow the playing field must change when a person maxes out the memory.

Normal density may be fine at capacities from 4 GB down, but then you must need low density at capacities above 4 GB.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here, but I know what works. 

And I know what doesn't.   And you know what doesn't.  Because you have tried everything but what I said will work.

Why, I don't know.  Nor do I really care.  I am only interested in the end results.   Memory that works.

I am a cheapskate, and I would be very upset if I was trying out memory like I was trying on shoes.

The main difference being that I don't have to buy the shoes every time I try on a pair.

You can get that specific memory if you live in the United States or Canada.  There is a new egg.ca. website too.

Pretty low risk gamble since they offer a 30 day refund.

• Return Policies
  • Return for refund within: 30 days
  • Return for replacement within: 30 days
HP Recommended

You are right but although I am a pragmatist by nature I do want to know why stuff does, or in my case doesn't, work.

I will order some the memory you suggested ... it's available here in the Netherlands too at a decent price. 

I will post back if I have any results 

HP Recommended

I cannot get that exact type ... would these do : 

G.Skill F3-1333C9D-8GSL

G.Skill F3-1333C9D-8GSA

?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.