Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop PC 17-ck1000 (509V7AV)

Hi Guys, I recently purchased this machine. Default configuration came with 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD generation 4 SSD. 

There is a secondary M.2 SSD Slot available but I am not able to find whether its Gen 4 or Gen 3.

I tried calling up HP Support but they had confusing answer. Can you please help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP only has the maintenance and service guide for the older model series 17-ck0xxx on your notebook's support page.

OMEN 17.3 inch Gaming Laptop PC 17-ck1000 (509V7AV) Manuals | HP® Customer Support

The secondary M.2 slot may not support a PCIe Gen 4 SSD

If you look at chapter 5, page 33 of the service manual for the older model series, it indicates that the secondary M.2 slot is PCIe Gen 3.

NOTE: Solid-state drive (1) can house up to a Gen4 solid-state drive. Solid-state drive (2) can house up to a Gen3 solid-state drive.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply 

Yes that's the confusion! I read that manual and when I spoke to customer support, they said second M.2 slot is also Gen 4. Maybe they are confusing backward compatibility with full support.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, probably they are confusing backward compatibility with full speed PCIe Gen 4 specs.

On some model notebooks the slots are labeled on the motherboard as to what PCIe Gen they are.

Such as in this discussion...see the first post.

Solved: [SOLVED] Maximum upgrade options (RAM, SSD) for HP Victus 16... - HP Support Community - 853...

HP Recommended

Guess what! I had a word with Customer Support again and they again re-confirmed that the second slot is also Gen 4 basis the HP Wise Documentation which I was unable to access though they shared the link. 

I have asked HP Support Rep to share the snap of the documentation and I will update here .. 

HP Recommended

RPSB, no Omen with Alder Lake and a second m.2 slot has anything but Gen 4.0.

Take a look at this previous discussion here:

OMEN By HP Laptop 17-Ck1xxx comfirmed by seller to have 1TB Gen4 NVME and another Gen4 NVME slot. 

Also, you can run free utility Hwinfo7.20 from Paul_Tikkanen's link here: Link to hwi_720x86.zip and see for yourself.

Unfortunately there are no markings on the ssd slots for these laptops for the simple reason that they're the same (gen4).

Omen17-ck1000_Intern.jpg

Omen17-ck1000_emptyM2.jpg

....So Hwinfo is the best way.

Hp Omen 17 inch 2022 model dual SSDs (Reddit). 

"Hello guys, I have a 17 inch HP Omen, windows 11 with two SSDs in there. They are both rated for PCIE 4 version, and I checked HWInfo and the slots that they are connected to also support version 4 of PCIE. One of them is rated at 6600 mb/s read speed max(I assume the other is too as it's same gen NVME, 4 etc)."

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.