Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 15-as129tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have already connected an external monitor using the HDMI port - works perfectly. I want to connect a 2nd monitor, and have 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C and 3 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports available. I tried an adaptor from USB Type C to HDMI - no success. Then I tried a USB Type C cable to HMDI - no success. The cable compatibility is: DisplayPort passthrough and Thunderbolt 3 ports - which is not meaningful for me. How can I find out what will work for my laptop? Thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BeaconView

As per your PC's specification, you can use only one additional monitor, also, you can use a splitter for HDMI (however, HP does not support or recommend the same).

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@BeaconView

Welcome to HP support community.

The type-c USB port on your device only supports these functions

USB 3.0 charging (powered) port Connects an optional USB device, such as a keyboard, mouse, external drive, printer, scanner, or USB hub. Standard USB ports will not charge all USB devices or will charge using a low current. Some USB devices require power and require you to use a powered port. NOTE: USB charging ports can also charge select models of cell phones and MP3 players, even when the computer is off

You can refer page no.14 in this HP document:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy, thanks for your help. Is there any other way to connect a second external monitor to my laptop?

HP Recommended

@BeaconView

You can connect the secondary monitor to the HDMI port.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy, I already have a monitor connected to the HDMI port; my problem is connecting a second external monitor. Thanks

HP Recommended

@BeaconView

As per your PC's specification, you can use only one additional monitor, also, you can use a splitter for HDMI (however, HP does not support or recommend the same).

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Sandy. It seems I will have to buy a larger screen to get the 'real estate' that 2 monitors would have provided or replace the laptop.

HP Recommended

@BeaconView

You are right, good luck,
And let us know if you need anything else.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.